1. My daughter2 is graduating from university this month and plans to teach elementary school. What are three qualities you most want to see evidenced in a teacher? I think elementary school teachers are some of the most important people our kids might ever come across. All of my kids were fortunate enough to go to Christian school and so right at the top of my list was a teacher who really loved the Lord and made that very evident to the kids. I loved a teacher who made learning interesting and fun and was always willing to encourage the kids to do their very best. I think it is important to find that perfect balance of a disciplined class, and yet not too over board. It wasn't easy. Seemed like teachers were either one way or the other. One of the teachers a couple of my kids had I will never forget. She LOVED the kids and it was just so evident. She had a way of making the kids really want to learn and they lived for her praise and encouragement. She demanded obedience and yet her classroom was always a fun place to be. They both came out of her class having learned far more than was necessary for a successful year. I don't think I even came close to just naming 3 qualities, haha, sorry but like I said teachers to me are very special people. A really good teacher can teach them important lessons of life, and tie it right in with their studies. I always wanted to teach but it never did happen. Inside a classroom anyway. I worked with my own kids A LOT at home. And I worked as an aide that floated from KG through the second grade for 4 years doing reading and math groups etc. How I enjoyed it. I think it was one of the reasons I was so glad when Melody became a teacher. I could somewhat live it through her. : )
2. You can tell a lot about a person by_____________________. The way they face the difficult things in their life when they happen. It can show what their made of. I also think you can tell a lot about a person simply by the way they treat others. I have a feeling this is one of those questions I could think of many things for and will probably dwell on it for a while.
3. What song makes you think spring? I don't think I really have a song that makes me think spring....unless maybe it would be songs that are usually sung at Easter like He has Risen. I will be curious to see what others have answered for this.
4. May 1st is Mother Goose Day...share your favorite nursery rhyme. Well I remember many that I liked for one reason or another, but one of my favorites was:
Just makes sense don't ya think?
A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard.
Why can't we all be like that wise old bird?
Just makes sense don't ya think?
5. What makes someone unforgettable? Hmmm this question too could require some real thought....I guess I will try and think of someone to me who was unforgettable, and then describe why they were....I guess one of them was the woman who lived across the street from me while I was growing up. She was MANY things. She was beautiful on the outside (a former model) but it was really only just a small part of my attraction to her. She was just the kindest woman I may have ever known. She had a love for the Lord that was evident in everything she did and she was always doing something for someone. Bringing meals to people who had surgeries or were sick, giving the neighborhood kids cookies, or just inviting people into her home. She was a school teacher and I have already told you how I admire those people. She was also an accomplished seamstress and she OFTEN made clothes for my sisters and I (she made ALL of my prom and homecoming dresses, AND she made my wedding dress) When I was in high school and learning to sew on my own, she showed unbelievable patience as she taught me how to do things. She also could knit and crochet and has won MANY blue ribbons for her quilts. But as I grew older she played a very significant role in my early Christian walk. She taught me soo much and I learned what it really meant to be a Christian woman. I tried to model myself after her as best I could when I was young, and how thankful I am that she was in my life. So how could I have summed this up? Someone who shares of them self in a selfless way, and who makes you feel good about yourself just being around them.
6. Should music and/or art be part of a well rounded education? Oh yes in my mind quite definitely. Both of them play a very important role in a person's life in unique ways to a certain person I guess, but I don't think you have to be a musician or an artist to appreciate either one.
7. What social situations make you flustered or nervous? Large groups of people I don't know very well have always made me feel uncomfortable. I can be somewhat introverted. Though the older I have gotten, the less true that it is of me. One on one I usually do well with, but lots of people and I do tend to clam up. (imagine that...haha)
8. Insert your own random thought here. I am soo glad to get the skin cancer removal behind me. It really wasn't that bad as "procedures" go, haha, but I just really don't like medical things very well. I have over 22 stitches which seems a little excessive for the size the spot was, but he has assured me there won't even really be much of a scar. I don't even know if I care that much is there is. I am just happy to have it behind me.