Saturday, February 13, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY VALENTINE'S GIRL!



Tomorrow, Sunday February 14, 2010 is not only Valentine’s Day of course, but the first birthday of my sweet, youngest granddaughter Donatella Valentina. How adorable is that name?

Donatella (Tella) is the youngest child of my youngest son James and his wife Larissa. She is also the much loved baby sister to Capri and JD. Donatella is one of the sweetest babies I have ever had the pleasure to be around, and I have been around quite a few, haha. She is SUCH a sweet little thing. Easily amused, and easy natured she is quickly entertained and contented. She loves to snuggle and give kisses, and has the biggest, prettiest shade of blue eyes, fringed in dark black lashes, I may have ever seen. And with all the beautiful blue eyed little people in our family, that is saying a lot. Oh how I love her! She has already been walking for a few weeks now, and is a busy, happy baby. Tella loves to dance! Any music within her hearing and she’s got her little body swaying and swinging. It is soo adorable. She is saying a few words already, and like her older sister Capri (and OK, her Grandma too) she seems to have a serious sweet tooth. She is the perfect finishing touch to their little family.



I look forward to watching her grow into all God would have for her, and thank Him every day for this wonderous gift to us all. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DONATELLA, and may the Lord bless you, and keep you, and make His face to shine upon you, now and always. Loving you always and forever, Grandma

This Sunday is Valentine’s Day and I imagine literally millions of people will celebrate this day with flowers, candy, cards, and gifts. Red and pink hearts, Cupid’s with bows and arrows, and sweet little Teddy Bears have been stocked on the shelves of our stores since the Christmas clearance items were also being displayed. I have always loved this holiday, and this year is no different. I tried to set our wedding date for Feb. 14th, thinking what a perfect day to celebrate with a marriage ceremony; however it seems way too many others had this thought before I did, as the church was already completely booked. We settled on the first of February and yet every year for 35 years we have had somewhat of a combination celebration of these two days. For me the short month of February has always gone hand in hand with thoughts of romance and love.

In Scripture we are told that God IS love…

1John 4:7-8 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.

In the world we all live in, love is usually thought of in the way I have described above. Moonlit walks, candlelight dinners and romantic celebrations come to our minds. And yet REAL love that comes only from God is really very different. God loves us all in a perfect and everlasting way. In this passage of scripture, John’s emphasis on love among the people of God is powerful. Here, he shows why it is so important. If love is of God, then those who claim to be born of God, and claim to know God, must be able to love one another in the body of Christ. Again, John insists here that there is something that is given to the believer when they are born of God; a love is imparted to their life that they did not have before. Christians are not “just forgiven”, they are born anew by God’s Spirit. John is saying when we really experience God it will show by our love for one another. Of course, this love is not perfected in the life of a Christian on this side of eternity. Though it may not be perfected, it must be present ~ and it should be growing. You can’t truly grow in your experience of God without also growing love for one another. John can boldly say, “He who does not love does not know God.” If there isn’t real love for God’s people in our life, then our claim to know God and experience God just isn’t true.

My prayer today is that this love that God speaks of will SO fill my heart and life that there is nothing it can do BUT spill out to others around me. I so want for everyone to experience and know His love in their lives as well. HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY to you all, and may the Lord make His face to shine upon you now and always.

I’d like to ask your prayers for my son James as he travels to Costa Rica with a group of the high school kids on a mission’s trip for their church Maranatha Chapel. As most of you know, James is the High School Pastor at this church. The trip already had a shaky start in that they were scheduled to leave EARLY (4:30 am) yesterday morning, but the flight was cancelled due to weather. They are scheduled to fly out again Monday morning at the same early time and be gone for a week. There is much on the agenda for this short week, but the kids are all eager to serve. Please pray that the Lord watches over them all, and that they are able to accomplish just what He has planned for them; I appreciate it so much.

1John 4:19 We love Him because He first loved us.

Jeremiah 31:3 The LORD has appeared of old to me,"Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; Therefore with lovingkindness I have drawn you.

To join Charlotte and Ginger and the other Spiritual Sunday posts, click HERE.

  

30 comments:

  1. Praying for James!!

    Happy Birthday, sweet precious child. You are beautiful.

    Blessings, hugs, and prayers,
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your love for God and your love for your husband and family is so evident in this post. What a beautiful tribute. Happy Valentine's Day! Praying for travel mercies for your son and the mission team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Tella, you sweet thing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to your beautiful granddaughter!! Love the pictures. I hope the missions trip is a safe one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoying seeing the pictures of your beautiful grandchildren.

    Praying for your son.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful grandchildren you have, Debbie! Donatella is absolutely gorgeous and loved very much, it's plain to see! A beautiful tribute to your family and to the Lord. Happy Spiritual Sunday and have a wonderful weekend.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to little Donatella. She's adorable. and I will pray for you son who is traveling. Happy Valentines Day to you. SArah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos. Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Valentines Day, and happy birthday to your precious granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday to Tella! That's just about the cutest name ever.:) This was such a sweet post and you have the most beautiful family. I'm sure that James' mission trip will be wildly successful and God will use him and his students mightily. Thanks for sharing this lovely post with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your encouraging words on my blog. I'm a firm believer that all things work together for the good. Thanks for reminding me. :-)

    Love your music!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday to your precious , beautiful Donatella! Wonderful Post, I pray for the same kind of heart.I am praying for James also.
    Blessings,
    ~Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful name for a beautiful little girl! Have lifted James and the group up in prayer. God's love will surround them!
    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday Tella!! You are a beautiful little girl. That smile and those twinkling eyes are just precious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a sweet little Valentine girl you have!!! Those pictures are so sweet, she looks lilke a happy content girl
    God bless you.

    Hugs,
    Bethany
    (PS: LOVE that Precious Moments graphic you used, I'm a collector!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing your darling granddaughter with us, and yes, I really like her name. I love the comments you made about God's love and love His people have for each other. Having been a pastor's wife for 40 something years, I have found so much love among the people we have been associated with in 4 different churches.
    I'm praying for your son and the group he will be traveling with tomorrow. I know you are very proud of him.
    Happy Valentine's Day.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  17. She is such a little sweetie. Too cute for words. Happy Birthday little Valentine! Love your collage, you are getting good at those!

    ReplyDelete
  18. She is adorable, and I am agreeing with you in prayer for James. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well happy happy birthday little Tella and a happy valentines as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun post. My third daughter was born on February 15. We spent a "romantic" Valentines evening in the labor and delivery room.

    Your family is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. THIS is a beautiful Valentine post! Your granddaughter is adorable!
    Thank you for your comments to me, and thank you for this post!
    Happy Valentine's Day to you. Sorry that it is almost over when I am getting to you.
    I do appreciate you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the mosaic picture of the sweet grandchild of yours. although I did not try to get married on the 14th, I did try to schedule my c-section for then. As it turns out, we had our child on the 13th, which actually turned out to be better. God knew! Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a precious post! What beautiful pictures.
    Blessings,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  24. Tella is beautiful! Enjoyed this post very much. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good Morning, Debbie,
    A belated, but heart felt Happy Birthday to Donatella, she is beautiful and just has the most pleasant expressions.
    As always you have such a wonderful way of explaining the Word to me. I am ever so thankful for God' love for me, that teaches me how to love, for he was and is my example.

    I so enjoyed reading of your first date, and of your growing love for your sweetie, God has been so gracious to me too.
    I also enjoyed reading of Melody and her farmer husband. those tractor rides are just the best.
    Hope your day is filled with many more blessings,
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a precious collage - such a cutie!! Sure hope that you and your sweetie had a wonderful day yesterday - and that James and the group got off this morning without any problems. Will be praying for them throughout the week.

    Have a wonderful week - looking for God's goodness in all the little things this week!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Debbie,
    This is such a loving post! You can just feel the love coming right off the "page!" Thanks for sharing Tella's birthday pics with us!

    Blessings,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  28. You are having so much fun with these backgrounds...I'm loving the snowflakes! You go girl, California girl!! I would say Dream On...but with all this crazy weather - anything is possible anywhere!!

    Oh, am lovin' the "At Last" this morning:)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad that you would take the time to comment on my thoughts and feelings, it is such a blessing to me!