Wednesday, June 13, 2012

HODGEPODGE

I decided to do a quick Hodgepodge post, though I haven't done one in a while.  I have also decided that my posts are a bit boring sometimes, haha, or at least soo similar from week to week that it isn't hard to figure out what I am up to....more of the same. I DO have a hard time coming up with something new to write about, and do better sometimes it seems with a list of questions.  Anyway, I always enjoy these questions...both answering them, and reading what others think about the very same thing.  You can join the others participating HERE.


1. In what way are you your own worst enemy?  This is a hard one to start with, but I will do the best I can trying to explain it.  I think I am my own worse enemy in MANY ways sadly.  Some of that comes from my childhood I guess and my constant "need" to measure up.  I am a definite perfectionist in the areas I feel I do well in, and therefore that leads to a feeling of doing something over and over again until I get it perfect.  Or at least as near perfect as anything can be in an imperfect world.  But of course this only leads to frustration, fatigue, and often times defeat.



2. Jacques Cousteau's birthday was Monday, June 11th...ever been scuba diving? Is that something you'd like to try? What's your favorite 'under the sea' creature?  I have never been scuba diving, and I can't imagine I will ever will.  I do think it would be REALLY REALLY interesting, but would require more courage than I think I could dig up.  My favorite under the sea creature would have to be dolphins.

3. On a scale of 1-10, how comfortable are you in and around the water? (1=not at all, 10=very) Do you know how to swim and if so how and when did you learn?  I am a definite 10.  I have ALWAYS loved water.  The beach remains one of my favorite places to go, and lakes and rivers are not far behind.  I don't swim much anymore, but I still loving just being around it.  I learned to swim quite young, and even took life guarding as a young teenager.    My mom took  us to the local high school for lessons.  I followed her lead and all of my kids learned this way as well.  We had a pool in our back yard as our kids grew up and we all lived backed there it seemed.  Living in So. California I think knowing how to swim is VERY important.  Seems like many things involve water out here.

4. What's something you do to motivate yourself to tick an item off your to-do list?  Believe it or not just being able to LOOK at a list with items checked off can get me going.  Plus I love the feeling at the end of the day knowing you we were soo busy you needed a list, and were diligent enough to get it done and have the "proof" of a crossed off check list.    silly I know....  : )

5. What makes a good neighbor? Are you a good neighbor?  A good neighbor is something everyone LOVES to have, and I always WANT to be, and am not sure I really am anymore (shame on me).  A good neighbor is someone you can count on to watch your home when you are away, KNOWS when something doesn't look or seem right and inquires about it, waves and smiles whenever they see you, and chats whenever there might be time.  It's someone you can borrow a quick cup of sugar from, and whose kids play with your kids.  Loving, kind, and interested.  I have had soo many good neighbors over the years it would be hard to count them up, and MANY of them are still good friends to this day.  I think the Lord did a wonderful thing when he created neighbors... 

6. Who loads the dishwasher at your house? Is there a right way and a wrong way?  Hubby and I both load the dishwasher these days, and YES there is a definite way to do it right, haha.  BUT!!  I NEVER complain, and TRY not to rearrange it when he does it.  It takes my "perfectionist" ways to their limits though I will admit.  

7. You know it's summer when_________________________.  Hmm let's see....many things just mean summer to me.   When it stays light LONG after dinner and you can sit out on the front porch to enjoy iced tea and a cool breeze.  When you smell bbq's from several directions.  When corn on the cob, watermelon,  and home grown tomatoes are on your dinner plate several nights a week.  When wet swimming suits and beach towels are hanging on the line ALWAYS it seems.  When the sound of an air conditioner clicks on in the middle of the night.  When beach trips and picnics are on the calendar.  I could go on and on, but I think I have given you plenty, haha

8. Insert your own random thought here.  I picked my mom up yesterday and went to my niece's 6th grade graduation.  It was a wonderful celebration and while I thoroughly enjoyed myself, the whole thing left me feeling a little down.  I tried to analyze it later and I guess it was just a combination of things.  The fact that it seems like just  yesterday when my kids were participating in the very same thing, and yet it was a LONG time ago.  I miss those days in many different ways.  Then the fact that my mom hobbled in somewhat on her walker and seemed confused as to what was going on some of the time, and the cheering and the noise REALLY bothered her.  She REALLY wanted to go (she is soo close to this particular grand daughter) and yet she was soo anxious to get back and not just because she had left her hubby at home with his daughters, but because she really prefers the safety and quiet of her own house, that she decided to skip lunch out afterwards to celebrate.  Sooo not like her.  Now I am sure if I looked I could find MANY a blessing in this outing, and I know I will eventually do this, but this is just where my heart is at this morning.  I did get some cute pics though, so hope you enjoy them

PRETTY KATIE LYNN

KATIE AND I...NOT SURE WHY I AM SOO SHINY!  HAHA

KATIE AND HER GRANDMA...THIS IS A GOOD PIC OF MY MOM

KATIE AND ANOTHER NIECE, TABBIE....THEY ARE THE BEST OF FRIENDS


THEIR FAMILY....MY SISTER DONNA, HUBBY, AND BLAKE AND KATIE
   

Hope everyone is having a good week!

11 comments:

  1. You certainly have a lot of cute kids in your family, Debbie! I always enjoy reading about your family and you are never boring! It's always fun to see answers to questions like these so we can get better acquainted.
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so much better than me! I rearrange the dishes all the time! Maybe that's why I usually find them in the sink than inside the dishwasher. Oh well! Lovely pictures! You look really pretty and not shiny at all! Enjoy your Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. John wants me to tell you that his favorite undersea creature is a lobster boiled and floating in butter on his plate. Isn't he bad?!

    Your family is such a good-looking one from the oldest to the youngest. Your niece is such a pretty gal and your mother is simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get that way too Debbie, and I think it is just normal for us older gals, after we have already experienced these milestones with our own kids. I don't know...maybe it is because we are just saps!!!
    Your niece is gorgeous! Your Mom looks great too.
    Enjoy your day!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a very nice family. You look great and so does your Mom. I love reading about what you have been doing and getting caught up. Yes, living in California we have had to have webbed feet.
    I can't imagine not swimming.
    I loved your description of summer. It is so true.
    I love how supportive you are of all of your family. I bet you are a wonderful neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad your Mom got to go and that is a wonderful picture.

    I think we all have those days that we are down and we aren't exactly sure why. Hope the sun is shining in your world today.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually enjoy your hodgepodge Wednesday posts a lot. I came here this morning specifically hoping that you had done one. (Does the phrase a day late and a dollar short come to mind?)

    I generally discover that you and I are SO MUCH alike while reading them.
    We're different in the water thingie. I would never scuba dive because it's on my list of top 1000 phobias. Sigh.

    I was a lifeguard in college, actually, but it mainly involved sitting on a chair while little children at the country club pool yelled, "Miss Debbie, watch me!"

    I'm sorry that you were blue yesterday and that your mom was quite herself. It's understandable...

    And your nieces are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading more about you. Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions and share some of your insights with us. I too love water and grew up swimming many hours each summer.
    Your neice is beautiful! Your mother is lovely.

    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love the relationship with nieces.
    not daughters . . . but you still
    love them to pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had the same answers to so many of the same questions. We are so alike!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog looks so beautiful Debbie! I am so NOT techie that I am afraid to try a new background, maybe one of these days.

    I understand your feelings on this blog, both with the kids, and your mom, and the generations changing and going so fast. It is always a little nostalgic to see the next group coming up and know that our kids are their parents, and at the same time still missing MY kids filling the house as they grew up. Where does the time go??

    It kind of snaps me upright when I think of the days and years flying by... and now I'm rambling. :)

    I always love your wonderful pictures!

    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad that you would take the time to comment on my thoughts and feelings, it is such a blessing to me!