I know I am behind but I decided to do a quick Hodgepodge. Wednesday just keeps sneaking up on me, but better late than never, right? Enjoy the other hodgepodgers here!
1. What's something people might ask you help with? Well, lets see....Probably something related to sewing I imagine. Or I have been asked LOTS of questions and advice over the years relating to kids. However, I am sometimes referred to as "Doc Deb" in my family too, haha. I am not sure how this happened, but if there is a medical question or concern it is run by me for an opinion. It is not nearly as big as it sounds NO ONE thinks I REALLY know, lol.
2. What's something you might ask someone for help with? Well recently it might be for anything that takes a lot of leg strength...grocery shopping, etc.
3. Did your family take summer vacations when you were a child? If so, where did you go? If you're a parent did/do you plan summer vacations with your own family? Did/do they resemble those you took as a child? I don't remember taking many summer vacations as a child. Probably because there were six of us kids. But for several years we owned a cabin in Big Bear and we went up there frequently. Lots and lots of week-ends and weeks on end in the summer and even some Christmas breaks were spent up there. How I loved it! Fishing, hiking, games, snow, sledding etc. As for my family, again, didn't take many vacations. A few....too busy paying for private school to have much money left over for trips. But we did do a few mountain stays, beach houses, and road trips up to northern California.
4. pool-lake-ocean....which one is most appealing to you on a hot summer day? Oh definitely ALL of them. But I think pool was always my first choice. We had one in our back yard for 25 years as my kids grew up and honestly it just couldn't be beat. Always right there, always refreshing, always fun...though those beach days were frequent and wonderful! And sitting at the lake? Well nothing more relaxing...
5. Have you ever justified using the expression, 'you gotta be cruel to be kind?' Was it really necessary or were you rationalizing? Truthfully, I have never heard of the expression unless you are referring to "tough love". And yes, I do think sometimes you have to be tough, but NEVER cruel. Hope I have never been cruel when trying to help or be kind. I know I have been tough. But sometimes when raising kids you just have to be.
6. The Journal of psychology recently mentioned the results of a survey identifying the ten most hated foods as - liver, lima beans, mayonnaise, mushrooms, eggs, okra, beets, brussel sprouts, tuna, and gelatin. Of those foods, how many do you actually hate? Anything you'd add to the list? Actually, I am a little surprised to find some of these things on this list....eggs? tuna? gelatin? Really?! haha I definitely DO NOT liver, but all the rest of them are good. It is kind of hard to find ANYTHING I don't like...sigh.
7. What's your favorite book or movie set in a beach or lake town? Easy...on Golden pond.
8. Insert your own random thought here...Well, I spent a somewhat frustrating day yesterday. I really don't like to admit how stubborn I can be sometimes...or maybe the word is ridiculous, haha. But! I am in the process of finishing up the blankets and nightshirts I am making for my newest grandbaby that should be here this month. I am adding decorative stitches, and little appliques etc. How I am enjoying this....honestly I had forgotten how much fun it is! However, I got into my head that one of the little nighshirts needed a MATCHING applique duck on the front of it. But do you think I had even a small scrap of fabric left over from the blanket to do so? (and I save everything that could possibly be used for something!) Well the answer would be NO. So I went in search of some. Seemed easy enough. Only needed an 1/8 of a yard or so. Well, 4 JoAnne stores later (yes, you read that right FOUR stores and NO they are not that close together...I did some driving!) AND a search on-line, and there is none to be found! I found every other single piece of fabric I have used for BOTH babies, but NONE of this one. I guess it must have just been popular. However, I did find some dinosaur fabric I just couldn't resist...though I should have. I already have WAY more than I should, but it was just soo cute. And warm and snuggle flannel is on sale for 50% off this week too, which made it even harder to resist. Soo now I have to whip up this blanket and nightie today. And I have to finish up a tiny bit of "decorating" on some other stuff, but I am almost ready to wrap. Still dwelling on the sewing machine issue. I won't purchase it until I am SURE in my head it is the right thing to do. I did take the evening off though and went to my nephews all-star game last night. What fun! Reminded me of times past, and my I love that sport! They won at the last second! And I mean last second. The game was in the final inning. They were BEHIND 2 runs. There were two outs, the bases were loaded, and my poor nephew stood at the plate with two strikes on him! Talk about a nail bitter. But he came through and hit a ball deep into center field, and as the third runner slid into home it was all over. They go on now to regional. Soo exciting. I see another ball game or two in the future.
|SOME OF THEM GOT THE STITCHES DOWN THE FRONT OF THE NIGHTSHIRT LIKE THIS ONE. KIND OF LOOKS LIKE RIC-RAC HUH.? LOVE THIS STITCH!|
|THE FLIP SIDE OF THIS ONE|
|HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF THE LITTLE APPLIQUES SOME OF THEM GOT|
|CLOSER LOOK AT THE STITCH ON THIS ONE|
|THE FLIP SIDE|
|THIS IS THE ONE I WAS LOOKING FOR THE DUCK FOR!|
|THE FLIP SIDE OF THE BLANKET...WOULDN'T THAT DUCK OR SAILBOAT HAVE MADE THE PERFECT APPLIQUE?|
|ANOTHER DECORATIVE STITCH I USED|
Hope you are all enjoying your summers. Blessings to you all! Debbie