Wednesday, April 9, 2014

HODGEPODGE WEDNESDAY...

It's time for Wednesday Hodgepodge.  You can join the others HERE

1.  April showers bring May flowers,. or so the the saying goes.  When did you last "shower" attention on someone or have attention "showered" on you?  Did you love it, or did all that attention make you squirm?  Well, it seems as if I have done a lot of showering recently.  First with all the things I made for my nieces new baby.  I loved every minute of it.  And then with my grandson and my son's recent birthday celebrations.   I LOVE LOVE LOVE "showering" others with attention.  As for me, honestly I don't remember when it was last my turn.  But depending on the attention and occasion, I both love and hate it, lol.

2.  Share a favorite "spring break" memory.  Not talking about just the "college spring break" things, but ANY spring break memory you'd like to share.  Keep it family friendly please!  Well good thing it is NOT a college spring break memory as I don't have any of those.  I remember more spring breaks when I was raising my kids.  We never went anywhere special that I can recall, but I remember looking forward to them and loving every minute of them as well.  It was always around Easter in those days (not any more I know) and most all of our time was spent around water of some sort.  New swim suits started things off.  And then there were beach trips, back yard swim days, at least one matinee movie, and enjoying NO homework or busy schedules. Broke out the shorts, slept in, barbequed and just generally kick started summer.  Easy to do in Southern California. Though we did have the occasional spring break that was cool and overcast. Those were never as much fun, lol.

3.  It's National Pecan Month...are you a fan?  If so, what's your favorite dish that calls for pecans.  Oh I LOVE pecans!  LOVE THEM!  I love them sprinkled on salads, in candy and cookies, or just all by themselves.  But the favorite dish is easy...pecan pie of course!

4.  "Put all your eggs in one basket"  "egg on your face"  "rotten egg"  "walk on eggshells" or a "good egg"..which egg-spression could most recently be applied to your own life?  Well let's see...nothing jumped right out at me, but surely I can work one of these....I guess I am going to go with "walk on eggshells" as it kind of felt that way after the earthquakes for a while.  Like at any minute another could hit.  I was kind of wanting to be prepared for it and I kind of slunk around jumping a bit at every sound.  Glad to report I am over it now, but it was NOT a good feeling, lol.

5.  In my experience....wow, this could go a million ways...  I always seem to have something I am trying to get someone to listen to my vast experience in, lol.  For right now, I guess I will say in my experience about life in general, it goes MUCH faster than you might think.  When I was a young mom and knee deep in car pools, school, homework, sports, orthodontics, and always putting a meal of some sort or another on the table, I was sure I would NEVER see the end of it. Part of that might have been I had 4 children and they were not particularly close in age. (a good 3 to 4 years apart with the last trailing 6 years behind the others!)  Seemed like I was on it for years! I was always hurrying it seemed and wishing ahead for when times would be simpler.  Looking back now I should have been S L O W I N G it down and savoring more of the moments.  Didn't figure that out to the end, and now sadly I feel like I might not have cherished it enough at the time. Soo, in my experience, take the time in your life to CHERISH the moments, make memories, and linger in whatever season you find yourself in.  The next one comes soon enough.

6.  What's a favorite song with the word rain in its title or lyrics?  Oh an easy one...Rain drops keep falling on my head by BJ Thomas.

7.  What does the word hope mean to you?  Wow another deep one.  Well I guess for me hope is all about the Lord.  Hope is defined in Webster's dictionary as a verb that basically means to want something to happen or to be true, and think that it could happen or be true...or as a Christian to somehow in my spirit KNOW something is true.  For Christians our hope is in the Lord. Through our faith in Him we have salvation from our sins and hope for things yet to come. Heaven and a reuniting with our loved ones. We have hope in His Word, in His promises, and in His constant care and love.

Psalm 31:24  Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart, All you who HOPE in the Lord.

Psalm 71:5  For You are my HOPE, Oh Lord God, You are my trust from my youth.

Psalm 119:114  You are my hiding place and my shield; I HOPE in Your Word.

Psalm 146:5  Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his hope, Whose HOPE is in the Lord his God.

8.  Insert your own random thought here...Well I guess I have a few as always, but right at the top of the list is these last couple of days have been HOT.  Near 90 degrees or more both days. Don't really feel like that yet, but it is the old it is what it is.  Don't really want to turn on my air conditioner and get that electric bill going in April, but this house is not insulated very well and it is over 80 in here.  Makes me lazy.  I did make up some coasters today for my sister.  No reason other than I saw the fabric and it was calling her name, lol.  She has been whining asking for some too, so I know she will be excited.  "grin"  She has taken this week off from work to spend with her new grandbaby, and I too am going to go over to Jessie's tomorrow and hold him for a while.  Soo looking forward to it.  Talk about something that goes quickly.  It's the "newborn" season for sure. So if you have one you can hold, rock, and love on, linger on it and enjoy every moment.  Hope you all have a wonderful day.  Blessings to you all! Debbie





17 comments:

  1. Well, Debbie, I wandered in today and zipped right back out without reading so that I could finally join in with Hodge Podge Wednesday. I think it will be my first and final. Ha!

    You really gave this a lot of thought and I always enjoy reading what you have to say. And I love what you said about "hope."

    Wish that I could send you some cold temps. ☺ We could at least split the difference.

    Those pot holders are a wonderful gift and so much fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow 90! We just can't quite seem to get warm here. I'd settle for hitting 60. Sunny today though, so that's going to be nice.

    Your first sentence in #5 made me smile : ) Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm stopping by from the Hodgepodge today.

    I agree with your thoughts for #5. Time passes quickly, and we need to cherish the moments.

    I'm not sure I could deal with 90 degree temperatures without turning on the a/c! We've only been in the mid-80's, and I've already turned ours on.

    Love the coasters! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy Wednesdays here at "The Way We Are." I, too, am more and more aware of how quickly time passes. My "baby" will be 13 on Sunday, and I can't believe how those 13 years have flown!

    Love your verses on hope.

    As a gal who doesn't like the heat, 90's in April makes me shudder. :D

    Enjoy your snuggle time with the new little one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on #5. Even though I only had the one child, I regret not taking the time to slow down and cherish each moment, each stage. I was always looking forward to the next one ... with eager anticipation, min you ... but that meant that I didn't stop to enjoy the current stage. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those coasters. So pretty!

    Great answer for hope and all I can add is Amen!!

    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really enjoyed your answers today. Interesting that just this morning during my Bible reading, I read, re-read and underlined for the umpteenth time, Psalm 119:114. I love the concept that God is my hiding place and my hope is secure in Him. Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really enjoyed your answers today. Interesting that just this morning during my Bible reading, I read, re-read and underlined for the umpteenth time, Psalm 119:114. I love the concept that God is my hiding place and my hope is secure in Him. Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those coasters are so cute!
    Hope you are having a great week...fun getting to know fellow bloggers better on Wednesdays especially :-)


    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those coasters are so cute!
    Hope you are having a great week...fun getting to know fellow bloggers better on Wednesdays especially :-)


    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll have to chime in like everyone else on #5. We were so busy when mine were growing up that I don't think I appreciated how quickly the time was passing. I know now and make sure I make time to enjoy my grandchildren while they are young, cause I know this season passes quickly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoyed this so much Debbie, you most certainly are a person who loves to shower others, as seen with the beautiful coasters for your sister, and of all the gifts you have made with loving hands, and that's what makes your ability to shower so special, you send showers of love!.
    Always enjoy your Hodgepodge Wednesday. wish I could send some cooler weather, I know ours is only going to be here for a little while. I especially enjoyed your thoughts on cherishing the moments, and I find that you do so well with this.
    Enjoy your day,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love showering people! I agree, Easter was always included in their Spring break and being in CA we didn't need to go anywhere, there was always something nearby to do. Those earthquakes always throw us for a loop and we are nervous waiting for the next one. We think alike on a good song. We don't have much if we don't have Hope.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed reading all of your answers, but the one that stood out to me, was when you said, "I love to shower love on others", and I after years of visiting this blog, I would say a hearty amen to that. You shower others with so much love, care, attention, gifts, and kind words. That is one of the reasons I like all my visits here.

    Your coasters are so creatively done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My two favorite answers (and I usual I like them all...) were #5 and the one about hope. I loved that you included scripture in your answer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoy reading your answers Deb. Raindrops keep falling on my head brings back memories of Robert Redford. Pecans are yummy. I even put them on my morning oatmeal. And yes cherish those seasons of life when the children are small. The time goes by so quickly.

    Blessings and love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like reading your answers but probably won't be joining in myself anytime. I love also what you said in answer 7. about hope. It's such a strong word and one that is especially dear in the hearts of Christians.
    As always, the work of your hands is so pretty. I bet if we were neighbors we could have fun creating things together!
    Have a blessed weekend, dear Debbie.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad that you would take the time to comment on my thoughts and feelings, it is such a blessing to me!