Well I have spent almost all of my spare time this week working on my new quilting project. I know I am have said this before, but it is REALLY my first official quilt. Now I did make one for Jessica's new baby I know, but it was not something I chose, and the pattern was soo simple, there wasn't one, lol. She wanted it VERY simple, in just big squares, so how hard was that? lol And then there was the one with the giraffe's, but it was not your typical quilt in that it was just the front part of a self binding blanket and I kind of made it up as I went. Also, the colors were not something I would have chosen as I stuck with her color theme. And then there WERE the table runners. They WERE official table runner quilts, but again, small and not really using a pattern. Either made up or followed a tutorial from the Missouri Star Quilt Company. But ALL of these things have gotten me to where I am now....following a beginner basic quilting pattern with colors "I" have chosen (though I am pretty sure she will love them) and using the embroidery part of my machine which was what I have wanted to do from the very start. I have had the machine for 10 months now, so I guess it is not too bad. I was kind of apprehensive about this quilt despite the fact that the pattern is so easy as I just am hardly learning what the terms etc. mean, and I wanted to force myself to read the pattern and figure it out on my own without running for help at every step. Honestly if I hadn't watched as many tutorials as I have, I doubt I could have done it, but hey how else am I to learn? It started off a little edgy right away as I had NO idea what "strip sets" were, or how they would become the square sizes I needed. I read ahead and saw the term "cross cutting" and figured they would somehow be connected. Rocket scientist I know, lol. Anyway, I followed the step by step pictures and quickly figured out what they were doing and got it done. Now I was SUPER careful, SUPER slow, and SUPER meticulous about cutting my strips and my center squares as I know how important it is that everything match. It REALLY was helpful when I went to sew things together. Those strip sets were REALLY nice and made things soo fast, but then I am sure you quilters already knew that. Anyway as I got my first block together (with 17 different squares) I was honestly thrilled and wanted to frame it and hang it on the wall, lol. One of those times where I wish some of you quilting ladies lived next door to me so I could have run over and shown someone (OK, and made sure it was right before continuing on). Anyway, I had ALL of the nine blocks cut and assembled by late yesterday afternoon, and this morning I sat down and connected my blocks. Again, kind of scared. I KNEW they had to match perfectly or the whole thing would be off and not being sure I had even put the blocks together right for sure, it did have the potential at least for going very badly. I had listened to a tutorial on how to nest and match those seams (plus you kind of have to do on rag quilts, but more forgiving) and I decided that even though you are technically NOT suppose to sew over pins while you sew, I went ahead and left them in. Now to tell you the truth, I almost NEVER even use pins of any sort for any of my garment sewing. I have done it so many times I don't really have to and it just takes time and is kind of fiddly. But I WANTED these perfect (which I think I have mentioned, but am saying it again for emphasis). Sooo all of this to say.....I have the top together and am ready to cut and put the borders on. Shouldn't be too big of a deal as I have put borders on my runners and it was pretty much a non event. So let me show you...
|THE SCRIPTURE BLOCK|
|ALL THE OTHER BLOCKS|
|CLOSE UP ON THE MATCHING SEAMS AND SQUARES, LOL|
Oh I almost forgot I have to show a tiny video of some of little Luke's first steps. He is just shy of 11 months.
|LOVE THIS PICTURE OF LUKE AND THEIR DOG BAXTER|