1. As August draws to a close, share what's been your favorite weekend of the entire summer? Goodness this might be difficult as I had soo many good week-ends this summer. But guess I will go with the one where Melody was here and we celebrated her birthday. Most of the family got together for the occasion and it was just a good time and now a sweet memory.
2. Labor Day is marked in the US of A on Monday, September 1st. What paying job have you held that you've loved the most? Liked the least? Wow guess I have to now confess that I have had only a handful of paying jobs in my life. Only 3 I guess altogether. So my favorite was the one I had at the elementary school where my kids attended. I worked there part time for about 6 years. I kind of rotated between the lower grades (KG - 3rd) in the morning as an aid who took reading and math groups etc. Then when it was lunch time I worked the lunch tables and recesses. Honestly I loved it. Kind of always wanted to teach school in the first place and I LOVED being around the kids. My least favorite (though I really loved many things about this job too) was when I worked the first year and half we were married as a secretary at US Suzuki Motor Corporation. I typed (the old fashioned HARD way, lol) took short hand and stayed on top of things for 3 different men in the service department. The only thing I disliked about this job I guess was that it was full time and I wanted to be home with my oldest son Joe who was only 2 at the time.
3. Does the new school year start before or after Labor Day where you live? When do you think it should begin? There is much discussion now about older students having later start times to their school day...your thoughts? Well most of the kids (all of my grandkids anyway) around here started this week so guess that would be before Labor Day. I think it should start AFTER Labor Day as it always was in the past. No real reason for that other then it was always the official end to summer, and so it seems logical. I have not heard about older kids starting later in the day, so I do not know the reasoning behind it. Off the top of my head my question would be? Why? If it''s because they want to sleep in and be lazy then I would say BAD idea, if it's because traffic wouldn't be as bad if you split it up or staggered it some then that sounds like a GOOD idea. Guess at my age these things hold little significance anymore to me. Is that a bad thing?
4. What's something you've worked at recently that could be deemed a "labor of love"? Well I guess it could be any one of the things I've sewn this summer as most of it was gifts. If I had to say I guess I will go with the quilt for the wedding present. Which is really kind of weird as while I definitely like this couple A LOT, they would not really fall into my "love" category, lol. But the quilt was hard, fiddly, and out of my comfort zone but I pressed on. Not sure why, lol. I think in a way my thoughts of love were more for my daughter and son in law as the couple to be married is his sister. Does that make any sense?
5. Which of the following work idioms can you most relate to right now...."A woman's work is never done", "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy", and "many hands make light work"? Well truthfully none of these fit very well for me right now, but playing along I would chose, "A woman's work is never done", lol. And not because I work my fingers to the bone over here the way I did when I was younger and raising my family, but because I was thinking that today when I was starting the laundry today, "Didn't I JUST do this?" lol. Some things around the house are just rarely finished. Laundry, dishes, straightening up, watering, cooking, etc. etc. You get the point.
6. Crab or lobster or thanks, but no thanks? Favorite way to have your choice prepared? Well this one is easy as I LOVE LOVE crab, and don't really care that much for lobster. Soo it would be a definite Yes please to crab and no thank you for lobster. I love crab just about any way, but I think I like it best fresh in a salad. YUM! Or maybe stuffed into sushi roll, or it could be cracked right out of the shell and dripping in butter? Any of them sounds good to me. Did I mention I LOVE crab?
7. Albert Einstein is quoted as saying, "three rules of work; Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Which of these three do you consider to be the most important? Share one of your own "rules of work". Wow there may have to be too much thought for this one, lol, and I am tired. But I guess I think that it just all depends on where you are at in this season of your life, and what is going on for you. But I think "in the middle of difficulty lies opportunity", is very important. And soo true I believe. Even in the toughest of circumstances. I have the perfect example (though it is kind of a long story so I will try and be brief). If you remember a while back (last December) one of my daughter's good friends lost her 4 month old baby during a routine surgery. His birthday was August 18th and he would have been a year old. His name was Grant. His parents asked that on that day he might be remembered by "GRANTING" kindness to someone so that he might be remembered and some kindness or grace might be passed on to someone else. You honestly wouldn't believe how many people participated in this. Many of them did the kindness (many for complete strangers) and told the story of Grant and used it as opportunity to tell others that Jesus loves them. Out of GREAT difficulty there was an opportunity to show kindness to others, spread love and grace around, and to tell others of the love God has for them. This couple has suffered a loss that NO parent ever even wants to consider, and my heart has broken for them many times. There has been hard days and good ones. But they have honestly been a wonderful example of what God can do if you let Him. And one of my own "rules of work"? Don't know that I have any, though my kids would probably disagree. I will say that one might be, "if your going to do something, do it right!" lol.
8. Insert your own random thought here. Don't have much random right now. I've been busy with my Civil War Quilt. I've only got 2 rows left. It is NOT going quickly as I am basically re-doing EVERY block as I put the row together. I am pleased with the way it looks and I guess that's what's important. My permanent crown will be put on this afternoon and I hope that's it for me for the dentist for a good LONG while. I will leave you with a couple darling little picture of my NM grandsons.
|A BOY AND HIS DOG!|
Hope you all enjoy your week! Many blessings to you all, Debbie