Wednesday, September 24, 2014

BUSY WITH CHRISTMAS PROJECTS...IS IT RIDICULOUS YET?!

Well I have spent the last couple of days back to my "regular" routine.  Got the laundry all caught up, the grocery shopping done, and have spent a good deal of my time sitting in front of the sewing machine.  I sometimes wonder if the day will ever come when there might be another way I chose to spend my time, but somehow I doubt it.  lol.  I just keep coming up with new things to make, lol.  I finished my second Christmas quilt.  It might be my favorite so far.  It was kind of time consuming, but really not too difficult, and I LOVE it for some reason.  I took it out to the quilters yesterday, and as always left with my hands full of MORE fabric.  I also found out that my Civil War quilt will be finished on Monday!  And my first Christmas quilt, the next Monday!  I am soo excited to see them I can hardly stand it!  I have decided to make yet another Christmas quilt!  Is it bordering on ridiculous yet?  I kind of think so, and yet I cannot seem to stop myself.  This last one I made was SUPPOSE to go in my living room, where we keep our tree, and I was planning on making a tree skirt to match it. But now that it's done, it really seems more like a family room quilt.  Just more casual and fun.  Not that my living room is formal and dull, (haha) but there is just a little bit too much red in it to suit me as well.  My whole house is full of burgundy's and navy, and gold, and greens, so red really is not what I usually decorate with at Christmas time.  Sooo there is a slim chance I might "gift" this quilt to someone,we will see.  But hubby might fight me on this as he really loves this one.  The new one I am making is SMALL (baby size) and it will either hang on my wall in the living room, or be displayed somehow on the couch. Depending on how I like it, I "might" make the tree skirt to match this one.  I have worked on it ALL morning. Took me 2 hours just to cut out the pieces for it.  I cut most of it from fat quarters, but it still took sooo long. Really is MUCH quicker to use a jelly roll especially when all the pieces (or a lot of them anyway) are 2 and half inches wide.  Oh well, that parts behind me now anyway.  I have one block put together, so only 11 more to go.  The borders are all pieced too so it might take me a little longer then I thought, but I know I am going to love it as it is hanging on the wall in the quilt store, and catches my eye every time I walk through the door.  I especially love the way it is quilted, and my gal told me she would do it just the same!  And then! When I was at Melody's I asked her what she might like for her Christmas sewing from me this year (besides jammies for the boys that is!) and she told me that it might be weird, but she would really LOVE Christmas sheets for the boys.  Well the conversation went on for a while with me explaining that it would be simple for me to do for Luke as he is still in a crib, but not so much for Sam.  That's when it dawned on me (I can be slow sometimes!) that I could just make him a pillow case.  He has plain dark green sheets for his bed anyway, so it would look just fine.  Not that we are really too concerned how his sheets "look" anyway, lol.  But he could have a special pillowcase to use for the month of December and he will LOVE it I know.  Especially since I plan on finding some Rudolf fabric.  And what could be quicker and easier then pillow cases?  And then! it occurred to me, I should make them for ALL of my grandkids.  Well the young ones anyway,  (which I guess is most of them, lol) Soo while I was at the quilt shop yesterday, I looked for some fabric to make some of these with.  I was really thinking I would just go to Joannes for this fabric, as quilters cotton is really kind of pricey in comparison.  But I found some perfect fabric for both JD and Jeffie, so I scooped it up.  And! they had a kit to make one there complete with an applique of a Rudolf and the words ~ I believe ~ as well for it.  It was just adorable, and so I got that for Cody.  The main fabric of that pillow will be covered in Santa Clauses..  Sooo cute.  So, as you can see I just keep adding to my pile.  I need to get more organized and arranged as to what I am doing.  Any minute.....lol  I did come home late yesterday afternoon and put one of the pillow cases together to see how it was going to look.  Darling is the answer!  And so quick.  I think it took me 20 minutes or so.  So I should be able to put these together super quick for the grandkids.  OK, let me show you what I have done...


I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS ONE QUILTED AS SHE IS GOING TO DO CHRISTMAS TREES IN THE BORDERS, AND ASSORTED OTHER CHRISTMAS DESIGNS ON THE REST OF IT.  

SO CUTE!

DOESN'T LOOK LIKE TWO HOURS DOES IT?  LOL  BUT I CUT OUT SOOO CAREFULLY!  STILL STRIVING FOR THOSE PERFECT BLOCKS!

SO FAR SO GOOD,...THIS ONE CAME OUT A PERFECT 10 BY 10.  

OK, this "break" is over so I am heading back to the machine for a couple of hours.  Wonder how many more of those blocks I might get done?  Diane is coming over tomorrow to quilt.  She is working on a similar quilt to the one I just finished up.  Same fabric, different pattern.  Hope you are all having a good week!  Many blessings to you all!  May you find some simple joys in your days! Debbie





9 comments:

  1. Oh how exciting to have the quilts nearly finished. Pillowcases are so much fun to make. I think all the grands would love one, even the older ones. Good idea. Loved seeing the jammies on the boys and the cute shirt you made for Sam. You see such quality results of your labor so it's no wonder that you are enjoying your sewing time. I just made the wonkiest little runner that I must tear it apart or throw it away. I need to move downstairs to the big table for cutting, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU are on a roll! And doing so great with quilting! I love making pillow cases too!!! Have fun sewing with Diane. Tell her hello!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your block turned out perfectly! I can't wait to see this top come together!

    What a neat idea of making seasonal pillow cases! My grands take their pillows with them to swim meets, so I think this Nana needs to make them some special pillow cases for their meets! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I love that block. The pillow case is adorable too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pillowcases make such a great gift, I think. One year I made one (customized) for each member of the family. You are a busy lady. Love all your quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are one busy "sewing bee" for sure. But, at least you have evidence and benefits of your busyness. I think its wonderful to be able to do something that you enjoy so much and to also be able to share it with others. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to be working on Christmas gifts now. I think you are so smart to be doing it now. I bet you really enjoy Christmas.
    I think your quilts are wonderful. I am glad you are all back to normal after your trip. I am doing all of that today. :) Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mother started quilting in her 50's and she is now 75 and hasn't stopped yet, it must be very addicting, but what a thing to be addicting to. Your work is beautiful and all those luck people who get to receive them.
    Go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I just think the idea of the pillowcases is great and I'm going to go to Etsy and see about finding some for my two Grans. They would love them! You are so industrious and do such lovely work. Enjoy your weekend and I always look forward to seeing your latest projects.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad that you would take the time to comment on my thoughts and feelings, it is such a blessing to me!