Thursday, December 11, 2014

A LITTLE CATCH UP....


It's Thursday morning, Dec. 11th and time is whooshing by.  I have caught up just a little bit, (not really but a gal can dream right?) and so I decided I would put up a quick post.  I have decided I have just got to get into the habit of doing "quick" posts versus "long and involved" not only for my sake, but for anyone who might chose to read this as well, lol.  I am just such a gabber.  But I will try my best.  Let's see how I do.

First, I wanted to tell you that we got the estimate back for my car and it is going to cost 4000.00!! to fix it!  Can you believe that?  Goodness I didn't think it was that bad, but the reality of it was the trunk was involved, the back bumper, the back door and the wheel cover.  Such a mess, and things are just sooo costly.  Anyway, the mechanic told me after I told him a little bit about it and how the woman was saying I hit her etc., he laughed out right and said, "yeah right....no mechanic anywhere would have ever bought that story.  This car was definitely HIT."  Anyway, it should be done on Christmas Eve and I will be very grateful to get it back.  I don't do a lot of driving during the week, but we do use "my" car for "our" car on the week-end so therefore we drive it a lot.  The rental is OK. It will get us from point A to point B, but it is not even near as comfy as my car.  And these days I am all about comfort versus how it looks.  I am grateful that I haven't seemed to have any residual soreness or anything for the accident.  Two days of slight discomfort and it seems to be behind me. Thank you Jesus!  (this story was TOO involved, I will try harder!)

And I FINALLY finished the tree skirt!  YAY!!  I know I have been talking about that tree skirt for weeks, and yet just kept pushing it to the back burner.  I picked it up from the quilter on Tues a whole day sooner then she promised.  She did a wonderful job as always, and I am soo glad I went this route. Then, I did cut the binding on the bias.  Why in the world I had that as such a big deal I am not sure because it was a non-event.  Maybe just because I had never done it before.  Anyway, I whipped that up and then had to cut down the center of the quilt and make a small circle to go around the tree. I was somewhat terrified to do this as of course it could have ruined the whole thing.  And because I want to always give credit where credit is due, I have my hubby to thank for the size of the circle I cut.  I would have made it MUCH MUCH bigger!  lol.  There were no instructions on this as of course it depends on the size of your tree.  I was going to use a small dessert plate as my circular template and hubby got VERY emphatic that it would be too big.  When he pulled out our smallest little dessert bowl to use instead, honestly I thought he was nuts.  But for whatever reason I went for it and he was 100% right.  Had I used what I had chosen it would have been WAY too big and therefore unusable.  Sooo, after the cutting was done I sewed the bias cut binding onto it and then spent the next couple of hours attaching it to the back by hand.  When it was all done I put a button and button hole on it so it could close (you could use velcro, snaps, ties or whatever but I chose a button) and somehow crawled around (I don't do this well with these knees) and got it under out tree. It fits!  Good thing it inadvertently got made smaller too.  However, to me it does seem a little  too small.  Truthfully I think it's just because our past ones have been sooo large.  There really is no more floor space for this one had it been bigger, so I guess it's perfect.  Let me show you....



FINISHED QUILT BEFORE THE CUTTING!

THE BACK...CAN'T SEE THIS VERY WELL HERE BUT I HAD HER USE GREEN THREAD.  LOVED THE WAY IT CAME OUT!

CLOSER LOOK AT SOME OF THE QUILTING

CLOSE UP OF THE BINDING

ALL DONE...CAN YOU SEE THE RED BUTTON I USED TO CLOSE THE CIRCLE?  (LOOKS LIKE A SMALL CIRCLE DOESN'T IT?  LOL
AND THERE IS IS....AS YOU CAN SEE BY HOW CLOSE IT IS TO THE FIREPLACE THERE REALLY ISN'T ROOM FOR A BIGGER ONE I GUESS.  NOW I JUST NEED TO GET MY PRESENTS WRAPPED AND UNDER THERE
Other then that I have been trying frantically to finish up all my quilted ornaments as most of them will be given away by Sun.  And in all my spare moments Melody and I are trading pictures of darling little girl clothes.  She wants bloomers (soo popular for baby girls right now) and rompers and little dresses etc.  I told her to just pick out fabric and send it to me and I will make it.  Don't know whose having more fun with this.  I guess you'd have to know Mel to know how out of character this is for her, lol.  She is NOT a shopper.  She is super conservative how she dresses the boys both in quantity and price,  She HATES fabric shopping (I may have burned her out as a little girl, lol, just maybe!) but she is LOVING this.  Suddenly she is looking at fabric and imaging all kinds of sweet little things.  I am sooo happy for her.  This little girl is going to be soo loved, and sporting LOTS of homemade goodies.  I've learned to make all the super popular hair bows etc., too, but I will save that for another post.

OK, I didn't do really well, but honestly I tried.  I type super, SUPER fast so it goes quickly for me, but it still takes soo much time.  I am off now to Joannes for yet more pins for my ornaments, and to dream over patterns there for a certain little girl.  I have alot going on the next 3 days so I will not be posting again until next week.  I will be visiting as usual.  Hope you all have a good week-end! Blessings to you all!  Debbie   (one last pic of sweet Vinny!)

SHARING HIS LUNCH WITH RUDOLPH....LOVE IT AND HIM!




7 comments:

  1. He is so cute and thoughtful...sharing his lunch.

    Your Christmas tree skirt came out beautifully! Glad that your hubby was able to offer such helpful advice.

    Praying that you get the chance to sit and watch the tree without the feeling of rush, rush, rush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your skirt is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! This IS a busy time of year!!! Do we EVER 'catch up???' It is so HARD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt and love the sharing with Rudolph. Adorable. xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. That little guy sharing with Rudolph, is just about the cutest thing! He has the Christmas spirit right, doesn't he?

    The tree skirt is so well made and looks great under your tree. I am sure you have lots of little ones excited about
    Christmas this year, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty, pretty skirt and isn't it amazing how much I husbands really do know. :o))) Sounds like you are striking things off your list left and right. Good for you! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tree skirt looks absolutely perfect to me. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and Hubby make a great duo. The skirt is beautiful and perfect. So sorry about the car, but hopefully you will not miss it too terribly bad. Have a great new week.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad that you would take the time to comment on my thoughts and feelings, it is such a blessing to me!