Monday, March 2, 2015

WEEK-END HAPPENINGS!


Well here we are the second of March already, and time is going as fast as ever.  We had some MUCH needed rain here in So. California this week-end, and I enjoyed every minute of it let me tell you, even though it brought some much cooler temperatures with it as well. The roaring thunder (and I mean ROARING!) wakened us about 2:30 this morning, and put a big smile on our faces believe it or not!  The pounding pouring rain that followed that roar was soo wonderous.  Didn't keep me awake too long either as I quickly drifted back off in spite of it all.  The sun is peeping through some clouds this morning trying to shine, but we are to get still more throughout this day I heard.  Thank God as we need it soo much here.

Our week-end was one of our "typical" ones and I enjoyed it as always.  Hubby went with me back to Hobby Lobby on Sat. to get the fabric I need to make the crib sheets.  I had gone with my sister Diane on Thursday to get that job done, but had forgotten to bring along the coral fabric from the quilt and bed skirt so I could match it.  And coral varies so it was too hard to do without it.  I decided to whip her up some changing pad covers as I am thinking they will be as quick and easy to do as the crib sheets.  I never did find any coral fabric that would work, so we are sticking with one mint sheet, one grey one, and one mint print.  I found a pretty grey Minky for one of the changing pads, and a nice mint fleece for the other.  On Friday I got the mint print sheet made up and hopefully I will get to the others today.  I never did show you the bed skirt so let me do that now, even though it does look kind of weird on the floor rather then on the crib, lol, but you will get the idea.

THE MINT AND THE CORAL ARE THE SAME FABRICS THAT WERE USED IN THE QUILT OF COURSE.  I AM ANXIOUS TO GET THE QUILT BACK (I WILL PICK IT UP WEDNESDAY!) AND SEE IT TOGETHER HERE WITH THE BED SKIRT.  

HERE IS THE MINT PRINT FOR THE FIRST SHEET.

After the shopping and errand running and a light lunch out we decided to see a movie.  I know...shocker....lol.  It's a good thing we both enjoy that so much.  We didn't go to our regular theater where seniors are only 5 dollars as it wasn't showing the movie that hubby had his head set on going to.  Since he had graciously "shopped" with me I decided to let him make the call.  He picked Whiplash.  Now we usually avoid R rated movies for obvious reasons, but this movie had been up for best picture, and had won the award for best supporting actor so we decided to see what the hype was all about.  But before I tell you what we thought, I have to tell you about our experience.  We went to a theater we rarely go to (I think we have been there once) and they were having a sneak grand opening for a whole new moving seeing experience in one of their theaters, and it just happened to be in the one where Whiplash was showing.  Basically they were SUPER soft leather reclining chairs, with a snack tray that could be pulled right up to you, AND! a full menu of food choices.  There was a little button to summon your waiter as well, lol.  Considering we had already had lunch we didn't order any food, but we did go ahead and splurge on some popcorn and a big bottle of water to split.  We usually avoid doing that as well, lol.  Not always successfully, but we do try!  Anyway, let me tell you that it might have ruined regular theaters for me in the future.  It was just sooo nice to stretch my legs out.  The chairs would have actually reclined all the way to laying position, but that would have resulted in my dozing off I am very sure, lol.  Soo now let me tell you about the movie.  Intense would have to be the main word for it.  It was basically about a young man who was in a musical college studying to be a drummer in a jazz band.  His teacher was pretty much just crazed I guess is a good word for it.  The language was fully off the charts and had me uncomfortable a few times, but the movie itself was a good one. The gal who was in the chair next to mine (she was very near my age, maybe a little older) and I looked at each other afterwards and agreed it was just an exhausting movie, lol.  I won't say much more.  Could I have skipped this movie altogether?  Well the answer would be yes...but can't say I didn't enjoy my experience.  Hubby insisted on snapping a pic of me.  Not my most flattering, but I will show it anyway.

I CHECKED OUT THE MENU AND HONESTLY THEY LOOKED TO HAVE SEVERAL GOOD CHOICES.  OH! AND I FORGOT TO MENTION IT WAS ONLY 2 DOLLARS EXTRA PER TICKET FOR THIS EXPERIENCE!
Sunday found us in San Diego as always for church and lunch at our son's house.  Which leads me to the last thing I wanted to share.  For many years when anyone would visit my mother's house, one of the first things that greeted you upon coming into her house was a large grandfather's clock.  My mother LOVED it!  When my stepfather passed away and we moved mom in with us she just could not bear to leave it behind or sell it, so she got my sister Danae to move it to her house where she would spend the week-ends so she could still enjoy it.  I already have a very similar grandfather's clock or I would have just brought here.  Well it's a long involved story that I will spare you but the bottom line none of my brother's or sisters wanted that clock.  But I remembered my son James mentioning once how he loved it and how it would always speak of grandma's house to him.  So even though his house is not very big he jumped on the chance to get it.  He picked it up on Friday, and it was up and running perfectly when we were there on Sunday.  Can't begin to tell you what a good feeling that was to see her clock there being enjoyed again.  Let me show you....


FITS PERFECTLY THERE I THINK AND RUNS AND CHIMES AS GOOD AS IT EVER DID!
I have the crib sheets, the changing pad covers, a pillow, some stuffed animals and "maybe" a rag doll still to make, and I'd like to make a rag quilt maybe too, so I guess I have plenty to keep me busy in the next 6 or 7 weeks or so until that baby is born.  I also have a couple of birthday presents to make so guess I'd better get off of here and get busy.  Hope you all have a GOOD week!  Blessings to you all....Debbie

8 comments:

  1. Oh my! I hope we get a theater like that around here. You look so comfy!

    That clock is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup...now that's a theater! Your trip to Hobby Lobby made me grin because I am now the proud owner of a Hobby Lobby gift certificate. =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the bed skirt is so pretty, I love the colors Mel has chosen for the nursery. I'm so excited she is having a little girl. What fun she will have in the years ahead. Happy week! I so wish that Mel lived just a short distance away. We are so enjoying having Bridget within 3 1/2 hours. It is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie, it is always fun when you visit Hobby Lobby for fabric. I love seeing all the projects you are working on, but I also like
    seeing you take breaks, especially when it involves leather recliners and pushing buttons for popcorn:)))

    The clock is a very special gift! I am sure you all will enjoy it for years to come. There is something so comforting about hearing
    those chimes.

    Happy sewing for the next few weeks. I will be waiting to see what comes from your creative hands and sewing machine:), but don't forget to keep taking those breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we visited the SW Florida Gulf Coast a couple of years back, they had a theater where they served food (a few good looking options on the menu, as I recall). I don't know if they had reclining seats or not. I was all gung ho to go, but DH didn't want to. :-( I wonder if there are any movie theaters like that around here?

    Your bedskirt looks fabulous ... well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Debbie, you are a machine when it comes to sewing!! The sheets and bedskirt are great!! A post full of happy! I like that!
    Those movie seats...oh my!!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a theatre like that a few towns over that we go to occasionally. I always tell hubs to wake me if I doze : ) I want to see Whiplash. I heard it was pretty intense. We rented Boyhood and didn't finish watching, which is rare for us. Really dull.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that the grandfather clock has found its rightful home! Things are just things...but sometimes the memories attached to them set them apart.

    It would not matter what movie was playing. If I kicked back in that comfy seat at the theater, I would be asleep in a matter of minutes! :)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad that you would take the time to comment on my thoughts and feelings, it is such a blessing to me!