Wednesday, June 24, 2009

IT'S SUMMERTIME....

Today was my day with Joe and Leah's kids....Joe arrived, breathless and stressed as he had realized he had come without Cody's diaper bag...He really is such a rookie...which really shouldn't be the case since Cody is his 5th kid, but that's another story....Anyway, I head over to their house having decided, much to Jeffie's sorrow, (he does LOVE Grandma's playroom, haha), that I would just watch them at their house today. Upon arriving, I quickly fixed breakfast for Jeffie and Cody and began ordering the other two to clean up. I sent Lindsey to dress and clean her room and make her bed, brush her hair and teeth and to then report. How Mel hated that word "report"...lol I sent Evan to do the dishes, and I dressed Cody and began giving him his bottle hoping he might doze off, as he seemed somewhat cranky...Lindsey had made quick work of her assignments, so I told her to pick up the living room area. Jeffie had disappeared to play some video games (his new love) and Evan was still busy in the kitchen. After Lindsey finished (she did a FANTASTIC job by the way) I told her she was free to go and play until lunch time. She quickly headed out the door to her friend Autumn's house across the street. I got Cody snoozing soundly in his crib, and Evan finished in the kitchen and feed the dog. He and Jeff were now playing video games together in Evan's room. Grandma sat down to catch her breath (I had already done many chores at home before Joe had ever arrived) and picked up a Dobson book that Leah is no doubt reading, sitting on the table by the chair. My mind wandered as I listened to the sound of the dish washer running, and Evan and Jeffie's laughter coming from the bedroom. It was such a typical summer day in the life of a kid. A few chores, and then off to enjoy your day, with really nothing more to do than pass the time. How I LOVED those days, both as a kid myself, and as a parent with my own kids...Hot afternoons spent at the beach with the smell of suntan lotion strong and heavy, and the sound of the waves crashing on the shore, or at the swimming pool full of screaming, laughing kids, splashing and having a good time. Afternoons at the movies watching the summer's biggest hits, snacking on popcorn and sipping ices. A good book and a comfy place to lay and read after the morning at the local library. The smell of a barbecue, watermelon, fresh corn on the cob, and sweet strawberries. Staying up late and sleeping in....friends over to spend the night. 4th of July, and fireworks...Popsicles, running through sprinklers, flowers, road trips and amusement parks. Vacation Bible School and lazy afternoons doing nothing at all...All these things mean summertime to me...It has always been a good memory for me, rather it was as a kid, or as a parent watching a kid, and I'm glad it's here once again. I fixed lunch for all the kids and Cody woke from his LONG nap in a really happy good mood. With his panties changed and fresh bottle in his tummy, he was ready for a little fun. Joe arrived home from his meeting and said, "What have you all been doing?" Really, nothing at all....it's summertime.

2 comments:

  1. I WAS WONDERING IF YOU GOT MY E-MAIL? OR DID I SEND IT WRONG? YOUR DAY SOUNDS GOOD, AND HOW FUNNY I TOO TELL MY KIDS TO "REPORT", AND YES I GOT IT FROM YOU. BY THE WAY LOVE THE SONG ON HERE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, summer is stretching ahead.....YEAH!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad that you would take the time to comment on my thoughts and feelings, it is such a blessing to me!