Wednesday, February 24, 2010


Well I have to say that looking for the blessings this week at The Way We Are will be easy as usual. Though we did have a few minor problems, God as always is soo faithful. How I praise Him for the watchful eye He keeps on all of us.

1Peter 5:7 casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.

We got a call Sat. night from my oldest son Joe's wife Leah. It was nearing 8:30 and I had just lowered myself down to the couch with my snuggly blanket (it was both rainy and cold) and my hubby was lighting a fire and was turning on the Olympics, when we heard her somewhat frantic voice on the other end of the phone. She was crying and told us quickly that my little year old grandson Cody had caught his finger in a bicycle chain and she was on her way to the emergency room with him as his finger was completely flat and black. I quickly told her to come by and get me and I would go with her. My son Joe was at work and she had left little Jeffie and Lindsey (who were sleeping) at home with my oldest granddaughter Annabel. We met her outside with a flashlight hoping to get a good look at his finger, but he of course wanted NO ONE touching his hand let alone his finger as he sobbed in his car seat. I got in the car and we sped off. Now their insurance is in transition, and at this particular moment the kids were without any insurance. It will be effective again on Friday which means they only went 1 week without it, but just goes to show you that you just NEVER know what can happen. After she is told me this, I decided that we would have to take him to county as I really doubted the local hospital would treat him without insurance or cash on the spot. We drove to county hospital which was a much larger distance. Cody sobbed most of the way frazzling both of our nerves. Looking back now I don't know why we didn't just head to an urgent care center. All I can say is it just never occurred to me for some reason. He did FINALLY doze off, though when he moved his hand once, the crying started briefly back up. I began to pray wondering just what laid ahead for this little guy. Well, upon arrival at the emergency room we got Cody out of the car and had to go through a complete security check to get in, and let me just say I have NEVER seen soo many people in my entire life waiting to see a doctor. There were easily over 200 people. The place was truly packed. Every single seat was taken and people were waiting outside and standing all around. I began to realize we could be there for the night, and I might have to literally stand for a few hours. With my arthritis I had no idea if that would even be possible. My heart literally ached for all these poor people as well, as some of them looked truly miserable. At this point my little grandson caught my eye and smiled. I held out my arms and he eagerly came to me. I told my daughter-in-law, let’s go into the lighted bathroom here and get a REALLY good look at that finger rather he wants us to or not. So upon getting in there and getting a GOOD look, I felt myself for the first time relax. While it was definitely swollen and somewhat purple, he was moving it easily it seemed, and no longer seemed to be in such pain. He let me handle it with complete trust. I told my daughter-in-law, "I think it will be just fine. I don't think it is broken. It is no longer flat, and the black you were seeing is just some grease I think. Let's just wash it well with some peroxide and ice it a bit and give him some Motrin and see how he does. If he starts back up with his crying you may have to come back here tomorrow or take him to the doc's on Monday if it is not looking good." Well that is just what we did and Cody was indeed fine. He did wake once during the night Leah said, but another dose of Motrin and a little bottle and he was quickly back in dreamland. His finger the next day upon examination by Grandma seemed to be a lot less swollen and less purple and he was running around his usual happy go lucky self. How grateful I was.....How I love that little man. Poor little guy. I have a feeling this little sweetie will have his fair share of mis-haps and emergency room visits as he is indeed his father's son. haha.  He is just always busy, always going where he shouldn't. Grandma is babysitting right now and he is sleeping soo peacefully in his swing, you would never suspect the energetic ball of speed he is when he is awake, but let me assure you, he

I am also grateful to report that my youngest son James's trip to Costa Rica with his high school group went VERY WELL. They had a marvelous time and accomplished all they had set out to do. My son did get sick on the last day as they were ready to travel home. So not good. But he did manage to travel and felt much better upon getting home. I was also grateful that his little family was able to spend the week with Larissa's wonderful parents at their mountain cabin enjoying the snow. You can find some cute pics of their week HERE on my daughter-in-laws blog.

And I am also grateful that work has picked back up (to almost too much, haha) for my middle son John. He works as a Graphic Artist for a company in Hollywood that designs and makes the standees that you see in movie theaters. Wouldn't have thought that the economy would affect the movie industry as they always seem to have soo much money, but it did indeed for a while. At least at his end of it anyway. John managed to free lance quite a bit in the interim, but it is nice to have something to count on. He is going to do another standup comedy night this Monday night, so that is looking promising too.

Life continues to be a series of ups and downs, good and bad. My mom has been quite sick with a REALLY bad cold and has asthma quite badly. She has been weak and overwhelmed all week. My step day was recently diagnosed with Diabetes and is struggling to get his blood sugar under control and a new way of eating figured out. Together they take care of each other, but it is hard. My son Joe's car has broken down and the repair bill is orbital. I have NO IDEA where the money will come from to repair it, but praise God, I KNOW He does. I feel the beginnings of ANOTHER cough starting. And on and on it goes. But at the end of the day God is forever and always on His throne and everything is in His mighty hands. He cares for us and loves us with an everlasting love and for this too I am soo grateful. I pray you all have a wonderful week, and may God bless you all.

The sleeping angel

Such a happy boy!

I picked Jeffie up at his bus stop today instead of going directly to the school to get him.  He was soo excited for Grandma to see "his" bus...His cute smiling little face says it all.  Such a big boy...sigh....His KG year is already half over!

To enjoy the other Thankful Thursday posts click HERE...Many thanks to these wonderful ladies for hosting this every month. 


  1. Oh my goodness Debbie, what an ordeal with the baby!! Thankfully, you were able to come along with your daughter in law, and even more thankful that upon closer inspection, you realized he would be fine w/o having to wait all night in the hospital to be seen. I hope your son has a wonderful night at his stand up, and that the son whose car broke will find the means to fix it without too much trouble. Also, that the economy continues to pick up and move along out of this recession!!!
    Hugs to you.

  2. Holy Guacamole!! Poor baby! Bless his wee little heart.
    Hugs and prayers,

    PS: I have an update on amden on arise 2 write.

  3. It had to be a comfort to both of them to have you go along. I'm so happy things turned out well. We're fortunate to have a small hospital in a nearby town that we've gone to for emergencies (that weren't life threatening) and have never had to wait.

  4. Oh your poor little grandson's finger! I'm glad that it's ok and he is okay. Your daughter in law is lucky to have a mother in law like you to come along and help out. I'm glad you didn't have to spend the night in the ER too. My husband says that almost every night at the hospital that is what the ER looks like. People don't have insurance, and they are going to the ER for simple things that they should normally see their doctor for.

    I hope your Mom is doing better soon too. I'm sorry to hear she has been so sick. It's been a nasty cold and flu season.

  5. I'm so thankful your grandson's finger was OK! What an experience!

    Happy Thankful Thursday!

  6. Praying for you, and your dear family.

  7. Oh, man, so many things in there I don't know where to start! I know my heart would have sunk if I saw 200 people in there! Thank God it was all OK. That must have been so hard. It does seem like there are all kinds of ups and downs all around. Good thing God does not change! Boy, that is good news!!!
    Sweet blessing this on you this week. :)

  8. God is with you and your baby. Praying for you and family. God is with us even in times like this. Welcome to my space.

  9. So glad your little guy is okay. And glad your son is getting more work. Thanks for sharing on TT. Have a great day!

  10. My goodness, what an evening you had. I think there are more and more people without health insurance now and ER's are going to be filled to the rim. But I
    was so glad to read that everything turned out well for your grandson.

    I've not been online much this week so I've missed your posts. I hope to catch up soon. We're in the midst of moving.


  11. What a beautiful testimony!!! So glad you were able to get a good look at the finger and make the decision to wait. Glad your son is home and had a great missions trip! Beautiful pictures of your grandchildren. Very cute!

  12. how sweet your post is and your grandbabies look very cute

  13. Debbie,
    So thankful all was well with your little "man"...

    Praise the Lord,

  14. Oh, Debbie - praise the Lord that the baby is okay and everything worked out as it did. I suppose if you had gone to Urgent Care or even the other hospital, there would have been a huge bill just to look at it and tell you to go home and do what you knew to do anyways....crazy. So great you were available to go along - and what a doll he is!!

    Its been a bit since I have been on the computer - I have had a struggling week for sure but then I read through other's blogs and life gets overwhelming for all of us - to be certain. If I'm not careful, I can easily convince myself "its just poor pitiful me.."

    There has certainly been alot going on in the lives of those you love - thank the Lord for all the blessings that come as well.

    I always look forward to your posts. Have a great day with your sweet little ones. Will check back soon, friend.


  15. Debbie - nice to meet you and thanks for sharing this with us!

    Praising God everyone is OK!


  16. Oh Debbie, how awful!! I've been there, between insurances and luckily nothing happened like that. That is so scary. Glad that the little guy is okay and also that you didn't have to wait with all of the sick people. I hate waiting in the emergency room, especially with kids. I'm so glad that he is okay now. What a relief!

    That Jeffie is such a darling little boy. I'll never forget his little face when you came to pick up his birthday cake. He told me all about his little party, he is such a sweetie!

  17. Oh Debbie, my heart stopped for a moment hoping it wasn't something worse. Praise God for Grandma's prayers! Also glad that your son had a good trip. God is wonderful and I see how he has blessed your family. Have a good week.

    Yoli :)

  18. Hi Debbie,
    What an ordeal. I am just so happy it turned out better than it started. There is nothing worse than watching one of your own hurting and not be able to help. Hope all get over their respective hurtles...the worry never ends, and I hope all experience some better health in this awful flu season.
    My heart is with you and your blessed family.

    PS. I enjoyed visiting your DIL and sister...nice to add to the blog family :)

  19. Always such a great outlook, Debbie! Thank you so much for sharing this post!


I am so glad that you would take the time to comment on my thoughts and feelings, it is such a blessing to me!