Monday, August 6, 2012


Well there has been a WHOLE LOT going on over here in the last few days.  I have such a busy day planned for today as well that maybe I should just "skip" my blog posting.   But I don't want to get too behind because I have this horrible feeling if I do it will be the beginning of the end of my blogging days, and I honestly just don't want that to happen.  So I will press on.  My kids tell me if I wasn't sooo "wordy" and didn't go into such detail in my stories or posts, it wouldn't take so much time.  But try as I might I can't seem to pull that off, plus then it just wouldn't be me now would it?

I spent all day last Thursday at the convalescent hospital with my mom.  She was really doing pretty good, but I think this whole experience has frightened her (who could blame her?) and now she is really cautious and slow.  I left around 3 to sit in traffic hurry home as we had the Time Warner guy coming to hook up the TV in mom's room.  He was just finishing up when my youngest son and his wife dropped off the grands so that they could go to a convention in LA that night.  My hubby arrived home a little early (thank goodness ~ smile) and together we enjoyed time with the kids.  Dinner was always works and Grandma has a really good gluten free one for her.  A long, long walk around the fish pond with Elvis and Grandpa (while Grandma cleaned up from dinner) helped burn off lots of their energy.  Then we played a few games, read a few books, colored a few pictures using their stickers, and finally popped on Beethoven 2 to watch on TV.  Can't tell how much I enjoyed them!   They were all still wide awake though when mom and dad got back around 9:30.  Grandma was good and tired when she got into bed that night.

Then on Friday my sisters were handling things with mom and I spent the day catching up things around here.  Laundry, bill paying, watering, some errands, you know, all those fun things.  And then that afternoon we had a guy come out and give us an estimate on putting in a new counter top.  I don't know how many of you remember but when we had only been living here about 6 months on our first Thanksgiving in this house we had a small fire (read about this HERE) and our kitchen counter (among a few other easily replaced things) got damaged.  I have managed to cover the spots with items but honestly it has bothered me every since.  But we had put soo much money into this house when we moved in we felt we needed to wait for a while before spending a lot more.  I want to paint the cupboards (if not replace them altogether as well) and it just makes sense to do this all at the same time.  I REALLY liked these guys, and they had lots of good ideas, but I guess we will see.  A little more money than we had hoped for.  My items might have to cover things for an while longer.  Not sure how eager I am to have my kitchen in disarray as well, especially with Mom here, but my hubby is still praying about it so who knows.  It "could" still happen.....a gal can dream right?

And then Saturday was the big and FINAL move day for my mom.  My two youngest sons were going to help out and truthfully it all went a lot better than I hoped.  We were locking the door on the storage place at around 2:30.  Not too bad.  I am honestly sooo thankful that Mom was not there to see the house all empty.  It looked forlorn is the only way to describe it.  Soo many years and memories in that little place....sigh.  Life has a way of changing and moving on even when you'd love nothing better than to slow it down some.  My step sister sat with my mom which really helped us out, and my mom was thrilled to see her as well.

Yesterday was church as usual, (another wonderful message) lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant afterwards, coffee and conversation at James and Larissa's after that complete with drawings from our 3 year old granddaughter Donatella.  Wish had a scanner so I could show you her darling little drawings of "our family"...soo cute, and really VERY good for a 3 year old.  It is hanging now on my fridge.  Mom was able to get out yesterday afternoon YAY!! and is at my sisters until I pick her up Tues morning.  I talked to her for a while after we got home and she seemed glad to be out.  But she sounded kind of confused, overwhelmed, and can't seem to keep track of numbers again in her head.  Poor mom.  She has been through soo much.  We grocery shopped on the way home, bbq' some delicous fish for supper and watched the Olympics (how I LOVE these) till we toppled into bed.  And there you have it.  WHEW.....all caught up, haha.

Today, I need to go and get a test done(hate those) just a routine screening,  get my nails taken care of (soo much maintenance on this old gal) pick up some digestive enzymes (life savers recently) and then I am going to pick up little Jeffie and see the movie Brave.  I have been wanting to see it for a while, and though he is not thrilled about seeing this one (I think it is a "girl" movie Grandma) he is game to see it anyway (if YOU want to really see Grandma! he said, haha) and then I am going to drop him off and pick up my granddaugher Lindsey and bring her out to spend a few days with me.  I am looking forward to it.  I have no idea how hard things might be with my mom now.  I will pick her up tomorrow and keep her for the rest of the week.  Her 80th birthday is on Thursday and I am soo hoping she will be up for something fun.

Well this took a little longer than I thought so I'd better get cracking....Hope you all have a good week.


  1. Oh that comment about wishing that life would slow down made me grin. More stuff happening all the time. So glad that your mom got sprung from rehab. I'm sure that once she is able to settle down in her new space and things stop swirling so much, she'll start making good progress. The Lord is faithful and holds us all up.

  2. You are right you do have so much going on right now. I am so glad you have some me time today. I am so glad your Mom is doing better.
    You are such a good Grandma. I do know how tired you get and how you feel when you fall into bed at night after having the kids. I always want to know how I could get that tired. :)
    I am so glad you are doing good. I will continue to pray for you all.

  3. Thankful that the details of the house getting cleared out weren't complicated by your mom being there. Praying for speedy healing for her and rest for you while she is recovering. Of course after reading this, it will take you alot to get rested up.
    Hugs, Noreen

  4. Thanks for sharing of your Mom's progress and plans, Wishing her a most blessed and Happy Birthday this Thursday. What would we do without those precious grandchildren, Debbie? I am so enjoying our 19 year old,she has extended her stay.
    Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

  5. Praying that things will settle down for you soon. Thanks for keeping us updated on your moms progress,you sound like a terrific grandma....hope you enjoy Brave

  6. Hopefully now that everything is cleared out of your mom's house, you can now settle into a new routine ... having a routine helps me settle and cope when there so much going on. I hope you're able to have a nice celebration for your mom's birthday on Thursday! {{hug}}

  7. Just want to tell you again, Debbie, that I think you are a wonderful daughter and grandmother. You give so selflessly to all those in your family and the Lord will continue to reward you with strength and joy!
    Happy birthday Thursday to your dear mother!

  8. Sending hugs...cheers of encouragement and Happy Birthday in advance...I know you will see God's faithfulness there also

    You are doing an awesome job...and when you cross the line you will hear,
    "well done my good and faithful servant"

  9. I enjoyed catching up with you and your family! Hope your grandson enjoyed the movie. That was a funny comment. I really hope your mom is home and doing better now that she's with you! Enjoy your Wednesday!

  10. Your Mom looks fabulous! So gald she was able to get off some of those meds, and get her old self back!!!
    XO Kris


I am so glad that you would take the time to comment on my thoughts and feelings, it is such a blessing to me!