Thursday, February 6, 2014

HODGEPODGE WEDNESDAY....



I am definitely behind this morning as suddenly it was time for Hodgepodge and I almost missed it, haha, but better late than never....Ok, here we go.  Join the others HERE.

1.  Are we always responsible for our actions?  Are there any exceptions?  I have a feeling this is one of those questions where I could just think it to pieces and spend WAY too much time on it (and considering I am behind, don't know if I should do that!) BUT!  Off the top of my head I would say that YES, a HEALTHY (key word!) adult is pretty much ALWAYS responsible for their actions.  We all have choices and we make them.  Everyday, and even in the simple things like rather or not we chose to be joyful etc. 

2.  Has anyone from your home town become famous?  Well considering I lived in a few different places as a child I will go with Cypress since we lived there the longest, lol.  And when my family was very young (my youngest son was only a year old, and no Melody yet) I found myself again living in Cypress.  And our next door neighbor was none other than Tiger Woods.  Now he was a young boy at the time and played VERY occasionally with my older two sons.  But honestly at the time my heart hurt for this young boy.  His dad was kind of a nightmare.  He did nothing but yell at him whenever he caught him outside playing, and he was often in tears as he drove down the street to go to the golf course.  They had two LARGE dogs that were scary and mean too.  And one day one of them got out and bit the young boy across the street from us.  When his father took the dog back to their house Tigers dad snatched the dog away from the man roughly by the collar and jerked him into the house and slammed the door in the other man's face after saying snidely, "he's had his shots."  Soo needless to say this boy had a profound effect on my family long before he became rich and famous.  My oldest son especially was soo bothered by all of this, and would often mention him in his prayers.  Funny huh?  Nothing is ever as it seems.  

3.  January was National Slow Cooker month.  Do you own a slow cooker/crock pot?  Did you use it last month?  What's a favorite dish you make using a slow cooker or crock pot?  Well I do LOVE my crock pot and there was a time in my life where that thing was used to death.  It was perfect when my family was soo busy with sports and practices and such and I would throw our dinner in there in the morning so that it was ready later when things settled down.  Don't use it even half as much as I did then.  But I still use it at least a couple times a month.  I have a few favorites.  But probably my favorite is a chuck roast with carrots, mushrooms and little red potatoes.

4.  How do feel about private companies collecting data about you?  Don't like that at all.  Don't think we can do much about it.  But don't like that at all.

5.  The games of the 2014 Winter Olympics kick off with their opening ceremony this coming Friday...will you be watching?  Which Winter Olympic event would you most like to see in person? Have you ever been to Russia?  Any desire to go, Olympics or otherwise?  LOVE the Olympics and yes we will probably be watching.  I'd love to see the ice skating in person...just LOVE that!  I have never been to Russia and have NO desire whatsoever to do so.

6.  Share a good or bad sports related memory from your childhood or teen years.  Well lets see...didn't play much sports besides some volleyball and basketball, and honestly while I did make the teams I spent more time on the bench, lol.  But one horrible memory was the time I landed on my ankle after coming down from a shot on the basketball court spraining it badly....The pain was almost unbearable! I can remember sitting with my whole foot in a bucket of ice water for hours after that in full blown tears..and NO I missed the shot as well, lol.

7.  What's a song for you on a work out play list?  If you don't work out, run, swim, bike, walk or anything else that could be construed as "exercise", then what's a song that motivates you to at least get up off the couch?  Well, with my knees I have not done much of any regular exercising for a couple of years now.  It has always been a part of my life in the past, so this is not something I intend to let go on forever.  However, even when I did exercise regularly I didn't listen much to music always seemed to be a good time to be with my own thoughts, or even to pray.  But something that can get me up and wanting to move (even now hobbled though I am) would be a good two step country song. How I LOVED to country/western dance.  

8.  Insert your own random thought...Well  I am still sewing over here.  This week I am working on burp cloths.  I made up a few like the ones I made for some of my grandbabies, but then of course I wanted to play with my new machine so I have made up a few that I am calling Debbie originals, kind of like my blanket/quilt. SMILE  Soo much fun this is.  I have a few more in mind, but here are the ones I have done.

THESE ARE MADE FROM THE PATTERN I HAVE USED IN THE PAST.  THEY ARE REVERSIBLE, SO I AM SHOWING SIDE ONE AND SIDE 2.  THEY HAVE THE RAG FINISH WHICH IS CUTE, AND ARE LAYERED WITH WARM AND NATURAL SO THEY ARE VERY ABSORBENT.  

SIDE 2


HERE IS THE FIRST OF THE ORIGINALS...THIS ONE IS EMBROIDERED AND IS SQUARE SHAPED AND HAS FABRIC AT BOTH ENDS.  I USED A DECORATIVE STITCH DOWN THE SIDES.  I MADE THE BURP CLOTH OUT OF FLANNEL AND LAYERED IT AGAIN WITH WARM AND NATURAL.  

THIS ONE HAS AN APPLIQUED GIRAFFE ON IT AND HEART STITCHING

THIS ONE IS KIND OF BLURRY, SORRY, LOL, BUT WAS FUN.  LOTS OF THESE FABRICS I HAD LEFT OVER FROM OTHER PROJECTS.  I LOVED THE LEAVES AS THE DECORATIVE STITCH FOR THE JUNGLE ANIMALS, LOL

THIS APPLIQUED ONE IS PROBABLY MY FAVORITE SO FAR.  JUST LOVED THE KANGAROO MAMA WITH HER BABY.  I USED A DECORATIVE STITCH TO KIND OF BOY THIS ONE UP, BUT I REALLY WANTED TO PUT BUTTERFLY'S WHICH MY MACHINE ACTUALLY HAS!

I realize as I look back at these pictures that you might not realize that these last 4 are folded in half.  The other side is has fabric at the bottom as well, and the decorative stitches down the side.  If this new baby is anything like the rest of the babies in our family, then you can NEVER have enough of this burp cloths.  They all seem to be spitters, lol.  Hope you are having a good week.

Blessings, Debbie



4 comments:

  1. i like the rag finish on the burp cloths, they are all so cute. Your story about Tiger helped remind me that we really don't know what goes on in peoples lives behind closed doors and instead of being critical we should be praying for the person/family etc (preaching to myself here ) Hope your week is going well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute burp clothes. Believe that will be one very blessed baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you are late to the party, and I am late to the sidelines to watch you party.

    I loved the story about Tiger Woods. (Well, didn't love that he had a sad childhood but loved that your family knew it and was moved to pray for him. ) I'm not surprised because of characteristics that I see in him as an adult. He always looks sad and dissatisfied.

    LOVE the burp cloths.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I SWEAR I commented on this!!!!! But I do not see it, so here we go with try #2.

    What a telling story about Tiger Woods ... I suspect it explains a lot. Sad, just so sad.

    I deliberately chose NOT to overthink #1 ... otherwise I think I would have never come up with an answer. ha!

    I'm a little disappointed that we'll miss the Opening Ceremonies tonight and the first couple of days of events. But I'm definitely NOT sorry as I'm really looking forward to watching my Ts compete! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad that you would take the time to comment on my thoughts and feelings, it is such a blessing to me!