Time for the HODGEPODGE. Join the others by clicking on the picture.
1. February 17th is National Random Acts of Kindness Day. It lands on the calendar one day after National Do Something for a Grouch Day [February 1] which somehow feels related. Perhaps the 16th inspired the 17th? Tell about a time you performed a random act of kindness or were the recipient of one. Will you make an effort to perform a random act of kindness on the 17th? Share the detail if you're so inclined, and if you have something specific in mind. I honestly can't think of anything off the top of my head. I do know the last time I was waiting in an office for a CT scan there was literally NO seats in the waiting room and a young boy [around 13 or so] offered me his chair. I was most grateful as standing long periods of time with my knees can be a nightmare. I thanked and praised him profusely. But is that courtesy to offer your seat to an older woman, or an random act of kindness? or both? Either way someone is raising him right! I also [now that I am thinking about it] had someone buy my lunch in the car ahead of me in a line at fast food restaurant once. Soo appreciated that too. And I have done that for someone as well more then once remembering how much I appreciated it being done for me. I didn't know about any random act of kindness day, so therefore don't really have anything planned. However, I do LOVE blessing people with little surprises and such, so who knows, maybe I will.
2. What's the most uplifting or encouraging thing you see happening in the world right now? You may have to dig deep for this one. With soo much focus on the negative that goes on in this world today it IS hard to hear about something kind or uplifting. This was the most recent one I heard that I thought was really nice. Apparently an eighty six year old woman sat at her window every day for the last 10 years and waved a hello to the middle school kids who were on their way to school on the corner of her street. The kids grew to look for her wave and smile and appreciated it more then she ever realized. On the Friday before Valentine's Day this year over 70 kids got together and made her Valentine's card and delivered them to her on their way home from school, and then lined up to give her a hug. This of course moved her to tears of joy. It's always nice to be appreciated. And the kids proved it's always nice to be encouraged with a wave and a smile. There are MANY MANY kind and giving people in this world ready to care for and give all they can to those around them. You just don't hear about them often enough.
3. Black olives, black currants, black grapes, black beans, blackberries, Oreos...your favorite food the color of night? Your least favorite on the list? Well I guess IF I could eat any of those things right now it would be a good old Oreo. Though truthfully I have not had one in years...lol. I also love black beans and black olives. I think for this season in my life I will go with black beans as my favorite, and black currants as my least.
4. A while back I read [here] a list of twelve things you should do before you turn 50. They were...travel when you have the chance, take care of your skin, learn a foreign language, make exercise a habit, leave a toxic situation, stop caring what others think about you, stop worrying, volunteer, spend time with your grandparents, pledge to work less, learn to cook an amazing dish, and seize an opportunity as it arises....What do you think of the list? What would you add or remove or why? If you are over 50, have you done all 12? If you're not yet 50, have you done any at all? What's on the list that you haven't done, but would like to do? Well I guess I think it's a pretty good list...I HAVE done most of the things on this list with the exception of traveling...just not me.....or learn a foreign language...no interest at all, though I DO think it's a good thing....I'd like to think I don't worry, but while I am MUCH improved in this area it is not something I have left totally behind....and in some situations I DO care what others think of me. I WISH I could be more nonchalant about that, but I am not always capable of it. Plus, I am always afraid that I might leave a bad witness for Jesus somewhere so I am careful how others might view me. I learned to take care of my skin at a very early age and I like to think it thanks me today as I am not overly wrinkled, lol. I USED to exercise every day until my knees went bad....does that count? I have left one very toxic friendship behind, spent as much time as I always could with my grandmothers until I lost them, have learned to make MANY amazing dishes. Don't think I've ever pledged to work less, though I have never worked outside of my home either, but doesn't mean I didn't work, right? lol. I guess finally I have seized MANY opportunities as they have arose over the years, and hope to seize many more. Sorry I answered all of these, lol.
5. Besides the classic Christmas flicks, what's your favorite film where winter plays a part in the setting? Well I will admit that MOST of the snow or winter ones I enjoy are Christmas movies. However! I LOVE the animated movie Happy Feet which I watched like a bajillion times when I used to babysit for my grandson Jeffie....soo cute. And then this is kind of a dumb one but I thoroughly enjoy watching Groundhog Day starring Bill Murray and as I recall that is pretty much all set in the winter time. And I really kind of like Cliffhanger starring Sylvester Stallone. They mountain climbed in the snow.
6. When did you last feel helpless, and what did you do about it? I guess I can't think of a specific time recently when I felt helpless, but I can say whenever I have in the past I immediately pray and turn to God. About the best thing you can do in such a situation.
7. Share a favorite proverb....this will be hard as I have MANY....lol....but guess I will go with Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. But then there is also Proverbs 17:6 Children's children are the crown of old men, and the glory of children is their father. [great grandparent one! lol]
8. Insert your own random thought... Busy this week getting started making some birthday presents for Claire. Can't believe she is already 10 months old. [TODAY as a matter of fact] Wasn't she just born? I am excited to be making her a little tutu to wear on her birthday, but haven't started that yet. So far I have just one pair of bloomers and a matching hair band tie bow. Both soo popular today.
|AND MATCHING HAIR TIE|
Hope you all have a good week! We are supposed to finally cool down some today. We have hit ninety for 3 days in a row. While it has actually been REALLY nice, we need some rain!! Blessings to you all, Debbie