|MY VIEW YESTERDAY ON A CHILLY AFTERNOON AFTER ALL THE|
CHRISTMAS DECS WERE PUT AWAY....
Well it's been a while since I joined in a HODGEPODGE party, but I have really missed doing so, and I have the time, so here I am. I hope all of your new years are off to a good start. I myself have a hard time sometimes with the changing of seasons and times. As anxious as I was to get the Christmas decorations down and stored away for another year, I dreaded it, and not just because it was a lot of work, lol. I always feel somewhat of a let down....it's over....who knows what lies ahead feeling, and this year was no different. But I am pushing forward KNOWING that this feeling will pass as it always does, and I will soon find myself busy with whatever it is God has for me in this new year. I am grateful for all He is and all He will do, and dwelling there, joy fills my heart.
|SWEET TELLA AND I|
1. Share one favorite moment/memory from your Christmas holiday. Hmmm there were soo many that will stick with me, but one that is standing out right now happened on Christmas Eve when we were down at my youngest son's house celebrating with him and his family. Little 7 year old Donatella was almost giddy from the moment we arrived, is the only way to describe it, as she was SOO excited to give me the gift she had personally picked out for me. Their children are given the opportunity to be taken somewhere where they can afford to buy gifts for those they chose to (and it can't necessarily be everyone) with their own money. I think this is such an important thing to do, and such a good way to teach them the joy that there is giving. Using money that is really theirs, either earned or gifted, but saved for this very thing, adds to the pleasure they feel. When it was finally time to open presents she had to be first to give her's out, and she excitedly put her gift in my hands. It was a small bottle of perfume in a little purse like bottle. The sparkle in her eyes showed her total joy believe me. She said, "oh grandma, I know how much you LOVE perfume and smelling good, and I just knew you'd love this! PLUS, look at how cute this little bottle is....it will looks soo good on your table," She shares my love for fragrances, and whenever she is at my house I of course let her spray a tiny bit on her wrist from the bottles that sit on my vanity. What I LOVE the most about this that she KNOWS me. That she was soo excited to add to my collection and wanted so much to please me. I of course immediately sprayed some on both of us, and assured her I would treasure this new addition and save it for only special times.
2. What was the best thing you ate over the holidays? Was it homemade or store bought? If it was homemade did you make it? Again, sooo many yummy things. But I think I will go with my oldest son's wife Leah's homemade beef stew. She prepared it in a gluten free way so that I was free to enjoy it as well, and it was SOOO good. I guess I will admit that I had myself TWO pretty big helpings, lol.
3. What was one of the most beautiful things you saw over the holidays? For this question I will go with the view of the snow capped mountains we saw as we drove up Euclid St. in Upland on Christmas Day towards my oldest son's house. We lived in Upland for 25 years and it sits right near the bottom of Mt. Baldy for those who are not familiar with it. I have witnessed those snow capped mountains many times of course over the years, but it never grows old. It was gorgeous on Christmas Day as it snowed the night before. Way too hard to beat one of God's masterpieces.
4. What does fresh start mean to you? Well I guess to me it means a new beginning. A chance to do or be something better, A do-over so to speak.
5. On a scale of 1 - 10 (with 10 being very positive and 1 being not so great) how would you rate 2016 in terms of personal achievement and well being? Explain... WOW...this will require some thought, lol. I think I will maybe go with an 8. I do feel I accomplished much this year in terms of what I set out to do. Lots of sewing and projects were completed. My devotional time was increased and improved upon. I have worked A LOT on contentment and my desire to feel so in whatever situation I might find myself in, On a lighter note, I did grow out a bad hair cut (for me...not that the cut itself was bad!) and FINALLY found a pair of sandals that fit well and yet looked nice. HOWEVER! there is room for much more improvement. I have managed to lose around 15 pounds, but it is just a drop in the bucket. My tongue remains WAY too hard to control, and I NEED to spend more time reading books that will increase and improve my spiritual growth, and less time watching mindless TV. I could go on, but as always my answers are probably too long!
6. Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English. Words may be banished due to misuse, overuse, or just general uselessness. Go here to read more about how the words were chosen or, if you're like me, to find out what in the world the word or phrase even means or the context in which it's used. There were quite a few on this year's list.
Here's the 2017 list of banished words..
You, Sir-focus-Bete Noire-Town Hall Meeting-Post Truth-guesstimate-831-historic-manicured-echo chamber-on fleek-bigly-ghost-Dadbod-listicle-get your dander up-selfie drone-frankenfruit-disruption
Which word on the list would you most like to see banished in 2017? What word or phrase would you add to the list? Wow...most of these I had no idea what they were supposed to mean...lol. But from what I read I think I will go with 831 as an encryption of I love you. Ridiculous, and soo unnecessary. Why not just say, I love you!? Not much way to improve on that! Just odd. What would I add to the list? Hmm I will go with when people say, "no problem" when they receive a thank you from someone. To me it imply's that it WAS a problem, or a negative, but they are choosing to "pretend" it wasn't. A simple, "your welcome" or "it was my pleasure" works WAY better, lol.
7. Large or small, light or deep, share with us one goal you have for the new year. Well I did kind of mention it already in number 5, but to explain it a little better....I do wish I had MUCH better control of my tongue. James puts it this way in the Bible
JAMES 4:8-9 But no man can tame the tongue. It is unruly evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who been made in the similitude of God.
It's not that I curse or use bad language, (almost never anyway!) but that I open my dumb mouth sometimes and say things I shouldn't. Always giving my advice and opinions. Gossiping and spreading stories around that are not edifying, Not that I make things up, or can't keep secrets or confidences, but just that I tell things at times that are probably better off being unsaid or untold. I KNOW that left to myself my tongue will NEVER be controlled. It is only through the Holy Spirit that I have any chance of that. But it is one of the top things on my list that I feel the Lord is impressing on me to improve and work on.
JAMES 1:26 If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one's religion is useless.
Kind of a sobering verse. It is soo important that I let the Holy Spirit control my tongue. I can't hope to benefit from all He has for me, if I do not DO what He tells me is necessary.
8. Insert your own random thought here..I do LOVE the feel of a new year, a fresh start or beginning, and all the possibilities that lie ahead, As always the older and older I get the more and more I want to feel my life counts and is worth something. I want to make a difference and encourage and bless those around me that they might feel the love of God through me. I do pray that the Lord might strengthen me, and help me to see the opportunities He puts in front of me to do this. Wishing you all the very best He has for us in 2017!
Many thanks as always to Joyce for organizing and coming up with the Hodgepodge questions. You can see the others who have participated, or better yet join right in by clicking on the picture below. ENJOY!