Wednesday, April 26, 2017

HODGEPODGE WEDNESDAY..

It's Wednesday already and time for the HODGEPODGE....click on the pic below to join in for some fun...



1.  April showers bring May flowers or so the saying goes.  Has your April been filled with showers? Do you carry an umbrella, wear a slicker, or make a run for it?  Besides rain, what else has filled your April?  Well I think we have had more then our usual amount of rain for April, but then that's not saying a lot considering we are talking So. California here.  I do not carry an umbrella, though there is usually one in my trunk.  IF I should get caught, I'd usually just make a run for it.  Though, truthfully I don't "run" anywhere. (grin)  Our April has been full of birthdays and celebrations, and time spent with family.  It has been wonderful!

2.  What's something you could give a 30-minute presentation on at a moments notice and with zero preparation?  Well honestly I guess I could give one on a number of different little sewing projects. Let's go with something made out of knit that needs a little stretchy band put on the neck...such as this little dress or pair of summer pj's.




3.  Share with us a favorite food memory from childhood......hmmm let's see.  I think I will have to go with Christmas cookie baking with my mom.  We spent AT LEAST two or three days baking goodies for our big family.  There were six kids in addition to our parents, so we needed A LOT, lol. My mom just had a way of making the whole process fun.  We chose up our traditional favorites and just kind of kept the kitchen popping is the only way to describe it.  My mom would be making her yearly cinnamon rolls while we worked on the cookies, popcorn cakes, fudge, and candy.  The smells were heavenly and we played Christmas music and sang away as well.  She'd store it all away in tins and containers and we feasted on it for weeks it seemed.  We all looked soo forward to it.  When I became a mom and repeated this "event" with my kids it brought fresh admiration for my mom, because I quickly learned lots of little ones underfoot during this process was oftentimes more of a hindrance than help, lol.

4.  What's a song you thought you knew the lyrics to, but later discovered you were wrong? Truthfully one eludes me right now, but if I am being honest I do it A LOT, lol, and my hubby who seems to ALWAYS know all the words to EVERY song, is quick to point it out.  I "could" ask him to tell me one, but I think I will let that alone for now, lol.

5. According to one travel website, the most overrated tourist attractions in America are...Niagara Falls, Hollywood Walk of Fame, Times Square, Epcot, Seattle Space Needle, and Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market.  How may of these have you seen in person?  Did you feel like a tourist?  Did you care?  Tell us about a place (not on the list) you've visited that might be considered a tourist trap, but you love it anyway.  Oh my...I feel like these kind of questions always expose that we have done VERY little traveling.  The only place I have seen in person is Hollywood Walk of Fame.  And I did not feel like a tourist, and probably wouldn't have even gone if the people visiting us hadn't wanted to go, lol.   We did go to steamboat springs once, but in the summer time and rode the ski lifts to the top.  It was the most spectacular view, and honestly the little town and place with it's shops and it's restaurants was one of the most beautiful places I personally have ever been.  We had traveled there for a national softball tournament when Melody was playing travel softball.

6.  What is your signature clothing item?  Oh this is easy,  I pretty much always wear the exact same thing in different colors and prints.  My daughter has pointed that out on numerous occasions when she has tried in vain to get me to branch out some.  I wear stretchy denim jeans in the winter time, and stretchy denim capris in the warm and hot months.  I do have these in 3 shades, lol. Dark, medium and light, and  very occasionally I will  even wear white or maybe black.  And these are worn with 3/4 length (usually, though I do own a few long sleeved and a few short sleeved) usually floral colored knit tops.  I know....pretty boring.  But I am comfortable and it's just my "best" look.  lol

7.  What's an experience you've had you think everyone should experience at least once?Why? Well this particular experience can only be had between a mother and a daughter.  So you'd have to fit that requirement I guess to experience it.  Actually now that I think about it, it wouldn't have to be your daughter, as I have experienced it with a sister, a niece, daughter in laws, and my own daughter.  And that's witnessing the birth of a baby.  I have had this experience 8 different times, and honestly it remains some of the best moments of my life.  There is just something soo overwhelming awesome about it all.  Like the witnessing of a miracle.  If you should ever find yourself in the position to experience this...take it!

8.  Insert your own random thought here....I was struck today by how much "maintenance" it takes to keep this old gal "somewhat" presentable, and the sad fact that even with all the maintenance it's just not that good anymore, lol.  And that's not to say it was EVER all that great,  Then I wondered do I do too much?  Do others not?  Should I spend less time and money and energy?  Here's my "must do" list.....My grey roots and hair style require a touch up and a trim every 5 weeks, sometimes I can push it to 6, but not usually.  Then....I must have my what would be wild eyebrows threaded every 3 weeks along with my lip, my chin, and even the sides of my face.  Ever since my total hysterectomy it's all just been an issue and honestly I just can't see it well enough to do myself.  Then, there's my feet.  I MUST have a pedicure at least every 6 weeks (more like 4 in the summertime) or so as with my knees I can't really do that myself anymore either.  Plus in California sandals are worn pretty much year round (or can be) and my feet show and have to look at least presentable.  And now I've added on.....and this I hesitate to admit for fear I will be looked at as possibly crazy....eyelash extensions.  I CAN eliminate this.  But I have found a gal who is relatively inexpensive (as eyelash extensions go) does a wonderful job, and they are really pretty nice.  It eliminates for me the need to pretty much ever wear mascara, and my eyes just look better with some lashes.  Mine are short and sparse anymore.  I do not even wear eyeshadow or liner or anything unless we are going somewhere kind of special and it's been really nice.  And it eliminates the need to remove it all as well, lol.  I DOUBT very much I will keep this up for very long, but for now it sure has been nice. All of this of course is just the items I have to go do and not the ones I do for myself.  Which is daily moisturizing and special lotions and creams for feet, etc. etc. etc.  There is just soooo much maintenance.  And I can say with complete honesty I am not a woman who gives a whole lot of thought or care as to how I look...HONEST!  But things must be maintained.  Do you know what I mean?  lol   Anyway, by the time I had my eyelashes done today, ran to the mall to pick up my moisturizer, swung by the health food store for my supplements (another necessary maintenance thing for this old body) and then finally to Joanne's for some sewing supplies, a GREAT deal of the day was gone.  And I began to wonder... ..maybe I am spending TOO much time TRYING to maintain?!?

Hope you are all having a good week.  Many blessings to you all!  Debbie





13 comments:

  1. I think you could teach any number of sewing classes, Debbie! You're a pro!

    Your signature outfit sounds very much like mine. :)

    We do seem to require more maintenance the older we get! Going gray eliminated a chunk of time and effort for me. I realize that's not for everyone, but it works for me. I have never regretted it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Debbie, I must agree with the witnessing a birth, especially that of a grandchild. I saw one of my daughter's births and it was the most amazing experience. Yes, a miracle! Now about the maintenance. I have always maintained a daily facial regime but have also added the every 4 weeks hair, eyebrows, and pedi appointments. I take tons of supplements and go to the gym at least 3 days a week. I have a weekly massage that is heaven and keeps me upright. I haven't done the eyelash extensions although my daughter does. I did however, have tattooed eyeliner done a couple years ago and wonder why I didn't do it sooner. Yes, it takes a lot to keep us presentable and feeling good about ourselves and I plan to keep it up until, without the least bit of guilt. So keep on doing your thing - we're worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, that's a hilarious take on the whole maintenance struggle! I hear you and wonder myself, am I really spending too much time? Great Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I say you go girl! Once you've passed the fifty mile mark maintenance amps up : ) I feel like there is always something that needs tending on my person-ha! My hubs also knows all the words to all the songs. However, the song I mentioned was on the radio the other day and he sang it my way. He thinks it's cute : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we are a lot alike! 😀 If you want to do a tutorial on sewing, I'll be there! What a fabulous memory of Christmastime in your mother's kitchen! That would make a wonderful Christmas post all fleshed out with the particulars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Debbie!!! I loved, loved all your answers! I wish I could sew like you and how amazing that you have witnessed 8 births! And your memories of childhood baking bring back mine, too. I wanted to do the same with our grandkids, but, as you said, it takes patience to have those kids in the kitchen. And our moms didn't have all the conveniences we have. How blessed you are. Now, about the maintenance. You made me laugh out loud for real. That is all so true, sad to say. I feel bad sometimes about all it takes to keep us up. Just this morning I was thinking how I had run out of primer a couple of weeks ago and have been doing fine without it, and the fact we never used to need primer. Now you have me interested in checking out the eyelashes. Where will it all end? ����

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it that you inspire us with those darling sewing projects, Debbie! I used to do a lot of sewing for the kids, but kid prints became harder and harder to find. I think I've complained about this before, but we used to have rows of cotton knits and now they're impossible to find, since the mills moved off-shore. I always love the prints you show us. ANYway, and I so agree with you about the birth of a baby. It is a tremendous thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, lash extensions around here are ridiculously expensive but there's only a couple of places that do them. I am using a serum called Lash Boost on mine to promote growth and thickness. I do believe it's working. Always enjoy sharing in your day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved reading your answers, Debbie. I have been blessed to be there when our DIL had our two youngest grand babies. You are right, there is nothing like it and I was blessed beyond blessed when she asked me to be a part of it! It was great getting to know more about you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debbie, I read your random to my husband. He thinks it's all worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there :)

    I read your random thought and really felt for you. I'm almost 50 and the maintenance has definitely gone up. I miss the days of even being in my 30s and being able to throw on a touch of makeup and not worrying to much about my skin. The hair growing everywhere is a pain too. My mom bought me light up tweezers, because I can't see the hair either until I feel it lol I really wish I was one of those gals that could just go natural, but I know I never will be. Anyway, you reminded me to get cracking on my pedicure ;)

    rue

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun answers, Debbie, and I hear you on the maintenance for sure. My hair has turned gray and I am just going with it. I just don't have time to do otherwise.

    Your memory of your mom, siblings, and the Christmas baking was simply wonderful! I was blessed to be in that same sort of home growing up. As Vee mentioned above, you could add to that memory and make a wonderful Christmastime post out of it. Or make it a little series by including the recipes as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you maintain pretty well, Deb! Enjoyed reading your Wed, hodgepodge! Have a blessed weekend,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad that you would take the time to comment on my thoughts and feelings, it is such a blessing to me!