Monday, May 1, 2017

WEEK-END WRAP UP...


This Saturday was quite different from most I spend, as I spent a good deal of it with two of my sisters. Our youngest sister was unable to join us as her daughter was going to her high school prom that night, and all of us mom's know what all that involves, lol.  It's funny in some ways I guess that I even have a sister who is still young enough to have a daughter in high school, but there is 14 years between us, and I had my kids quite young, and she was closer to her thirty's. She is only 4 years older then my oldest son....Anyway, I digress as always.  I can't remember if I mentioned that shortly before we left on our trip to Melody's, my Uncle Don called me and asked if my sisters and I would be interested in some of my late Aunts collectors dolls.  Well that was really a NO BRAINER, because of course we would!  I know somewhere in my blog life I have mentioned my Aunt Carolyn. She was my mother's sister, and no doubt her best friend.  Seems they were always together through the course of their lives, and MANY MANY of my holiday's growing up were spent at her house. She was a wonderful, wonderful Christian woman and I loved her so.  She was always blessing someone with something and all of us girls enjoyed spending time with her.  She only had 3 sons and so she considered herself lucky that her sister had 4 daughters to share.  One of her passions for sure was dolls.  She collected them.  She made them.  She restored them.  She had a fairly large collection. Carolyn passed away 11 years ago and we all still miss her very much.  Her son's wives no doubt took some of the dolls years ago, but Don had stored several of them in his storage as he wasn't quite ready to part with them.  Well, he has sold his home and was cleaning things out, and that's where we come in, lol.  I got the dolls before we left for our trip and had just been waiting for a time when we could get together and divide them up.  And Sat. was our day.  We drew names, did our choosing, and spent a good deal of time reminiscing about times gone by.  I ended up with only 2 of them.  I wanted just one truthfully, as I definitely wanted something special that just says "Carolyn" to me, but I really don't have any place to store or display things either.  Truthfully I guess sometimes I feel more like it's time I begin to downsize my own collections and "things" not collect more.  But anyway, the main one I got was Jane....which just happens to be my middle name by the way, lol.  Here she is...


THESE PICTURES ARE NOT GOOD...I AM PAINFULLY AWARE OF THAT...HOWEVER IF YOU KNEW THE TROUBLE I HAD JUST GETTING THESE YOU'D BE HAPPY FOR ME, LOL.  ANYWAY YOU GET THE IDEA.  SHE IS DARLING AND IN SUCH GOOD SHAPE.  

A CLOSE UP OF HER FACE

HERE SHE IS WHERE I THINK I AM GOING TO KEEP HER.  IN MY MOTHER'S ROCKING CHAIR THAT IS IN THE CORNER OF OUR BEDROOM, AND WITH THE PIECE OF THE QUILT THAT IS MINE THAT MY GREAT, GREAT GRANDMOTHER COMPLETELY HAND MADE.

SHE'S A LITTLE SMALL THERE, BUT I THINK IT'S THE PERFECT SPOT.  I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW MUCH I LOVE HAVING THESE SPECIAL PIECES THAT BELONG TO THE SPECIAL WOMEN IN MY LIFE!

 After we finished with the dolls we drove out to Long Beach and picked up my mother's youngest sister Dorothy, and took her to lunch with us.  We brought her one of the dolls too and she was soo pleased.  We had a wonderful lunch 2 blocks from the ocean at a small little seafood restaurant near her house.  It was soo good.  We spent a couple of hours visiting with her and enjoying our time before heading home with promises that we'd do it again soon.  It seems sad how easy it is to have life go by and times like this don't happen nearly enough.  She doesn't live that far from any of us and has really only got one grandson who visits her regularly.  I intend to change that from now on.


JOE AND LEAH

SWEET CODY

On Sun we went to church as always and went to lunch with my oldest son and his wife and their youngest son Cody afterwards.  I LOVE spending my Sunday's like this.  After lunch I popped by Joannes looking for fabric to make my oldest sister's grandson some summer pj's for his birthday party coming up this week-end.  I managed to find some batman (his latest love) knit fabric which is almost unheard of for Joannes.  They carry lots of licensed fabric of course, but it is usually only cottons, and maybe a little flannel or fleece.  I honestly don't think I have ever seen any knit there.  So I scooped it up quickly and then got a little cottone to make him a batman pillowcase as well.  I got the pj's cut out this morning and the top made, so I can show you that now...




I honestly can't believe it is May first.  Time marches on and on and I do my best to keep busy and productive and enjoying this life I have been blessed with.  Hope you all have a good week!  Blessings to you all!  Debbie


4 comments:

  1. How sweet to have that darling doll and enjoy such wonderful memories of your loved ones. I like that you put the doll in your mother's rocker. Your son and his wife are a very handsome pair. What a cute boy Cody is! I find it very hard to believe it is already May too. Half the year will be gone before you know it. Gee, it would be terrific having the ocean close by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special timme wth your sisters and your Aunt. Times like that are so precious! That Cody is such a cutie! Happy week Debbie, always a delight to stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right, of course. It is sometimes difficult to be intentional with our time, but it is important to invest in relationships. We are never sorry that we carved out moments with our loved ones. (I am talking to myself here. That is something I have been thinking about a lot lately.)

    So glad that you had such memories to share of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am glad that you found a wee spot for Jane because she brings your Aunt to mind and now your Aunt Dorothy. I'm beginning to see how God has His hand in all these things. And, surely, with all the grandgirlies you have, one will be interested in dolls so no worries about gathering another precious item. 👱🏻‍♀️

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad that you would take the time to comment on my thoughts and feelings, it is such a blessing to me!